• So I got a new unused Akorn from Gumtree a few weeks ago for $150. The only catch was that it had been dropped, and the lid had separated from the hinge.

After doing a bit of research I discovered something called a rivnut, that could be used to create a thread in a metal hole without having access to the back like you would need if you were using a nut. Due to a very busy few weeks, I have only managed to insert one rivnut, but I plan to do the rest by this weekend when I hope to do my first cook. That one seems to be sitting in quite well, so I am hopeful that I will be able to fix it properly, with minimal outlay. I will upload photos when I have finished. Before the first cook, I will do the seasoning burn as described in the manual, and use that as an opportunity to learn a bit about temperature control on a kamado.

Anyway, as a first cook, I hope to reverse sear some hanger steak. Since I've only ever been smoking on a WSM and BBQing on a Weber kettle, I was hoping for some advice regarding cooking on a Kamado. I know for low and slow you are supposed to have the deflector in, but with a reverse sear that would require the deflector to be removed when it comes time for the sear. I was wondering if I could do the whole cook without the deflector, and when cooking at a low temperature having the lid down would prevent flareups, while still allowing that extra flavour from the juices dripping directly onto the coals. Then all I would need to do is crank up the heat for the final sear. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?

I look forward to having a play with the Kamado, and learning lots as I start to use it more.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• Yep, run with no deflector.

A Kamado is different to a kettle. Always fill it up and use the vents to control how much charcoal burns and therefore how much heat. Light only the top few bits for low and slow, an area the size of two fists for a roast and 3-4 fist sized areas around the outside for Searing or Pizza.

• Yep, run with no deflector

Great thanks. All the online stuff that I read about reverse searing said to do it deflector in and then remove when ready to sear. I thought it would work, but wanted to confirm before hand, because I really did not want to have to handle a hot deflector.

But yeah, sounds good. I've been doing a lot of reading about running Kamado, so that is great.

Chargriller Akorn Kamado | 57cm Weber MasterTouch | 47cm Weber Kettle (for camping) | Charbroil Grill2Go | Charbroil Offset Smoker

• I'm no type sure how the deflector sits in the Akorn but I have done mine on the Royal (ceramic) kamado and removed the deflector quite easily. In my case, it's sitting on a steel frame so picking it up by that frame isn't an issue when it's hot. It may however be a problem if you have to pick up the deflector itself.
    Another option is to shield the steak from underneath with some foil (but not sitting directly on foil of course) and then just move the steak over when you want more direct heat. Or, have the fire mainly on one side of the fire box and move the steak over it when required. There's quite a few ways to get a good result so it's a matter of trying different methods.

That's a great pick up you scored and with your experience on the kettle, you'll be on top of it on no time.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Another option is to shield the steak from underneath with some foil (but not sitting directly on foil of course) and then just move the steak over when you want more direct heat. Or, have the fire mainly on one side of the fire box and move the steak over it when required. There's quite a few ways to get a good result so it's a matter of trying different methods.

Thanks for that. The Akorn sits directly in some brackets on the wall of the Kamado, so you would be directly removing the deflector. However, I thought that having it directly over the fire might give extra flavour from the juices dripping into the coals, and the fact that a Kamado has a much more controlled airflow would mean that there would be no flareups while the lid was down.

Yes, definitely a great deal. I'll post how much it cost overall when I get it complete, but will definitely be under $200 never used.

• Ok, and again, I'm not sure if your deflector is metal or ceramic and if It is (ceramic) you'd need to be extra extra careful taking it out when hot because it would crack easily.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I've got welding gloves for removing the deflector when I want to sear.

Don't forget the akorn has the extender grill, you can put your meat on the upper grill and put a pan under it to act as a deflector. Also as stated above, the firebox is big enough to have the fire at the front for example and cook at the back indirect. So there are a few easy option if you don't want to have to take the deflector out.

Just remember to make sure you are closing your vents off before you get to temp, these things can shoot over pretty quickly if you are not watching them.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Sounds like you like your steak.

Here's a set-up that will sear well.

Fill up your firebox with lump charcoal and light it.

Take the fire grate out of your kettle and put it where the deflector sits.

Put a pizza pan on it.

Insert your main grill, the cast iron one.

Wait until the Akorn is about 100C and put in your meat. Hopefully it is nice and thick. Experiment with and without smoking wood chunks for extra smokey flavour.

Wait until the internal meat temp is about 80% of the target temp.

Take out the meat and wrap in foil.

Take out your main grill and put it in a safe place.

Take out the pizza pan.

Open the top and bottom vents wide open and get the temp up to around 300C.

Put your steak on the Kettle fire grate. You may like to try it cooking with lid open or closed. I recommend wearing some good gloves so you don't burn your hairs on your hands and arms.

Depending on how well you like your steak it might only be on the grate for a minute each side and also depends how you like your grill marks, eg cross hatched.

Take it off, rest and enjoy.

• Thanks for the advice @12x7. I'll definitely try that in the future. I think I am going to go with low temperature over the coals, to see about flavour from the juices dripping onto the coals. Then I'll take off and rest while I crank up the heat, before searing over high heat.

Repairs are completed. Had to use different bolts, because I couldn't tighten the ones that came with it. Other than that it's all reattached, and other than a dent where the latch is at the front, it appears to be all good.

Total cost was $150 for the BBQ. $35 for the Rivnut tool, which included the rivnuts I needed. And $3.80 for a packet of bolts. All in all, quite a bargain I think. The only think I'll probably want to look at is doing something about the dent at the front, because it doesn't always latch shut very well.

This afternoon I am going to do the seasoning burn: 400F for 1 hour, before bringing the temperature down to cook the hanger steak. Hanger steak has been salted earlier, and is sitting uncovered in the fridge for the day. Will get peppered this afternoon before going on for the cook.

Here's hoping it all turns out.

• So first cook went quite well. Definitely not a raging success, but a good learning curve.

So first lesson, don't try to do a low temperature cook immediately after a seasoning burn. I struggled to get the temperatures down after having it up at 400F for the hour required to season the smoker/grate.

Meat went on at 350F, instead of the 275-300F that I was planning. Also put some sliced butternut pumpkin, coated in salt, EVOO and paprika, on the heating rack over top of the meat.

Meat took less than half an hour to get to 50C internal, so took off and kept warm while increasing the temp a bit to finish off the pumpkin. Took pumpkin off, and opened up the vents to get it cranking. Reach 700F in short order, at which point I put the steak back on to sear. This is where I wasn't sure what to do. When searing, should I keep the lid open, or should I close it each time I turn?

Anyway, meat came off, and was pretty good. I was a little disappointed with the browning from the sear. I'm not sure what I could do to improve that, since I already had the temperature up as a high as the Akorn is supposed to go. But slicing, was beautiful edge to edge pink, maybe a little more done than I had hoped, but not entirely terrible.

Sliced down the middle to separate the different grains. Sliced across the grain, and served with the pumpkin, some home made sour cream and sauerkraut, as well as some lettuce and cucumber. All in all a very tasty meal.

• Great first effort.

Any Kamado, not just Akorn are tough to bring down temps quickly. It is the side effect of being so well insulated and fuel efficient.

It looks like the first part of the reverse sear was direct over the coals instead of indirect with the deflector which also boosts the grill temp.

it looks like you like pumpkin. Try making pumpkin soup.

1) Cut up a pumpkin or two. Leave skin on.
    2) Put in Akorn to cook @180C for two hours until the meat is soft.
    3) Scoop into large pot on the stove or in the Kamado
    4) Add a litre of chicken stock
    5) table spoon of salt
    6) Hand blend until you get the consistency you want.
    7) heat up to simmer

Add extras like honey, cream etc to taste
    Freeze left overs for later

Enjoy the smoke infused taste!

• That looks pretty damd tasty to me. Not sure I would do low temp cook for that cut of meat but your results look outstanding.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Thanks @12x7. I understand why it takes so much to drop the temperature, I guess I just underestimated how long it would take. Anyway, the meat was directly over the coals, but I was trying to get the temp down before putting the meat in. It actually dropped when I put the meat in, probably as a result of putting a large cool thermal mass in. I will definitely have to try the pumpkin soup. We eat a lot of pumpkin, including pumpkin soup at the moment.

Thanks @Captain. It was pretty good, I just wanted a good edge to edge medium rare, which is why I went for the reverse sear.

• You've probably already worked it out but be very careful opening the lid when it's at high temps. Just burp it a couple of times first to prevent a flash that will take the hair off your arms.

• You've probably already worked it our but be very careful opening the lid when it's at high temps. Just burp it a couple of times first to prevent a flash that will take the hair off your arms.

Not just your hands and arms like this guy.

I read about a few people singeing their eye brows as well from the flashback.

• You've probably already worked it our but be very careful opening the lid when it's at high temps. Just burp it a couple of times first to prevent a flash that will take the hair off your arms.

I haven't worked it out myself, but I did a lot of reading/youtubing before cooking the first time, and read about this. I was quite careful for the most part, although I did forget once but didn't have a problem.

• Hi

An addition to this stuff.

Take the fire grate out of your kettle and put it where the deflector sits.

You can put the meat in the sous vide on 53-54 for a couple of hours, more or less depending on the thickness of the meat. Half an hour or so before it comes out of the sous vide, light charcoal on the fire grate out of the kettle that is replacing the deflector in the Akorn. This brings the fire close to the cast iron grill in the Akorn. When the charcoal is nice and hot just sear the meat.

I am interested if anyone thinks this might damage the Akorn by lighting the charcoal in this position. Doesn't seem to cause a problem in the short term at least.

Of course you have a to have a sous vide. If you don't have one, no biggy, but something to think about for the future.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• I am interested if anyone thinks this might damage the Akorn by lighting the charcoal in this position.

Is it possibly too close to the seal ?

• The Weber Kettle fire grate, part number 7441 has been a popular Akorn mod for years now and quite a few comments on the internet. I got mine from a council clean-up from a Kettle someone had thrown out.

Here's a photo of the fire grate when I first got it and was burning off the crap to get it ready to use for the first time. You can see if I had used a full firebox of lump it would have been just below the grate, ready for awesome searing.

It shouldn't be a problem at all as Adjustable Fire grate brings the heat even closer to the seals/opening than the regular location lower in the firebox.

https://www.chargriller.com/grill-extras/a…fire-grate-6214 which you can buy from Bunnings. I think one of Chris' ladies from BBQ school has one.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (September 28, 2017 at 8:58 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!