We will be lookin for you...

• I have often compared my town to Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show. When you come from an area that had 15 Million with in 50 miles of it...it seems that way! Well, this is what is going to happen October 22...We will look for you all!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• I want to try an Australian Meat Pie, the Curry Chicken Pie and the Sausage Roll. Bent says he won't eat the curry chicken, so will have to bring some of the family along to help test. We will try and post pictures and see if you all think it looks authentic. What is "crackie"? Something we should try?

In other postings, they claim that the Australian Ambassador is coming from the Embassy in D.C. That would be a big time person for our little burg to have visit. Might have to see that to believe it!

• Bent is on the money. Curry chicken pie isn't dinkum Aussie anyway.

And where's the Chicko Rolls ???? It's not a complete Aussie event without them.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I want to try an Australian Meat Pie, the Curry Chicken Pie and the Sausage Roll. Bent says he won't eat the curry chicken, so will have to bring some of the family along to help test. We will try and post pictures and see if you all think it looks authentic. What is "crackie"? Something we should try?

In other postings, they claim that the Australian Ambassador is coming from the Embassy in D.C. That would be a big time person for our little burg to have visit. Might have to see that to believe it!

Sausage Roll with sauce....MMMMmmm

Not sure what they mean by Crackle and Shortbread, I'm thinking Chocolate Crackle (made with Rice Bubbles) but I could be wrong!

• And what about the lamingtons? Damper? And Scones?

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Is the Australian ambassador still Kim Beazley? He'd be good for a few pies himself. Did meet him back in the day, one of his daughters is my age. Seemed like a good guy.

I'm concerned about what a Git Basket is. Also Aussie underwear and 'boody' has me stumped.

If the pies are authentic you'll love them. Same with sausage roll and sauce.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• If the pies are authentic you'll love them

A container load of Four 'n Twenty ? Got to have them in a genuine bag too.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Meat Pie and Sausage roll is a no brainer as is Sausage...What is Dead Horse sauce? Prawn Salad is probably good, but I aint goin in for a sit down! After seeing those meat pies in the other thread it will be interesting to see if these are close.

• We went to the G for the last round this year when they were $2 each. Needless to say I made a pig of myself. :yum)

• Well the day has finally come! You all probably wont even be up before I post a few photos...I believe we have been down graded a bit on Aussie Dignitaries...I believe we have gone from the Ambassador to Embassy personal...

The Meat Pie, Sausage & Sausage Rolls obviously, maybe the Waygu kabobs but they may be above the pay grade...

Sounds like fun. What are you most excited about?

• I guess the nicest way to put it is, I am glad none of you were there with me today, I think I would have been embarrassed! We were there at the beginning of the day, right around Noon. Not a lot of crowds. The Embassy did have a small set up, lots od folks wanting to chat with them, all I did was snap a photo...

Meat Pie, nice crust, inside tasted nice, but after seeing the real deal here, it simply was disappointing. I heard Dad (more on him below) say it was more of what he would consider a pasty and not a meat pie. And being a cheap screw, $6.50 seemed ridicules!

A Waygu beef kabob, very tender, but not a lot of flavor...Not even sure why I took a photo.

Believe it or not, that is about it! The highlight for me was running into a family from Brisbane living in Maryland. They were wanting to get a Sausage roll, but the place that was selling them (and they were supposed to be sold on the street) wanted you to come in and sit down. Dad wanted take away, like me, and when I heard the hostess say, sit down only, I went back and sat at table. I guess one of the owners decided he would be happy to sell Dad some take away, and they bought 2 or 3. The son had come over to tell me this, so I went back. They were just ringing them up...so I figured, why not see how they like them, before I get any, again $8 for one and refer to Cheap Screw comment as to why I waited! I had ask Mom what they should be like and she proceed to explain to me what she though should be in them as she regularly made them. She stated a very fine pork mince, even would ask her butcher to run it through one more time for her. To this was added bread crumb, egg, onions, garlic, sage and black pepper...and the thing I found surprising, carrots. At this point, I pretty much knew this was not her 1st rodeo!

They opened the bag and said they looked right. But after tasting, you could tell without words, both kids and parents, these were not authentic Sausage rolls. Glad I did not buy! I ask Mom about the issues. 1st thing she said was texture, to course is what I took away from conversation, then the sausage taste, she felt it was like Italian sausage...All I needed to hear, but the one little girl called it Doddgy...and that sealed the deal for me!

I bent this gals ear about all kinds of stuff, it truly was the highlight of the day for me! Lovely family...poor mom ended up eating cool sausage roll, if she even got any, I think son finished hers off!

Sorry, long winded...but now on to me picking you all's brains. On the way home, I had to go into the store and buy all the ingredients to make these. Cus, as we all know, I can make anything better then anyone even if it is for the 1st time...and I wonder why people think I am arrogant!

...So is mom's ingredient list what would be in the sausage roll that you all grew up on and still eat today? Or are there vast amounts of different recipes? Or is this a recipe that might be more of a regional Brisbane thing? Oh, she also said she rolls the puff pastry out thinner so it does not get to big, made sense.

And here is the most important thing I need to know. I never ask her what kind of sausage to start with. Or...Is it just minced pork, and the ingredients she had me get to add will make "the sausage" ? If not, I have a butt thawing to make sausage, what type would you all use and I will make it.

And I am to slow of a person to have gotten amounts from her...I think all I need is ingredients and I can make anything. Not sure on this one...How do my amounts below look, assuming her ingredients are "Traditional"...

500g fine pork mince (gonna twice grind?)
    1/2 cup bread crumb (75g?)
    1 egg
    1 cup very finely minced onion (150g?) Do I do them raw?
    1/4 cup minced garlic?
    1/2 cup minced carrots...Again, raw?
    The Sage...I have no idea how much.
    She said a fair amount of cracked black pepper, again, no idea how much.
    Salt to taste.

Put sausage (she said raw) in puff and cook at 180c (360f) for about 15 -17 minutes?

Ohh, here is what I did not quite understand, but everyone's cooking techniques can be different. She said she pipes the sausage on to the puff, so I kind of wondered if this was more of what I would almost consider a hot dog or bologna paste before it is cooked consistency? What do you all make of that remark? This remark has me worried as I would have just rolled the sausage into along log and put it on the puff pastry.

• That's a shame the event looked like a bit of a fizzer.. I guess they didn't really give it a fair crack of the whip.
    And bye the way, That's not a Pie, This is a Pie. ;)

I made sausage rolls myself this weekend, but all i did was to empty out some thin beef sausage added S & P. Some tomato paste & basil just for fun, rolled out on puff pastry, cut to size, brush with some milk and in the oven 180c till edible.

Your recipe looks pretty good to me although I'm not sure about the pork. Like meat pie's it's a constant quest to discover the best.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Thanks for the report Bentley. It's a shame about the crowd but that thing they call a pie isn't even close to the real thing. I haven't made sausage rolls but I thought they were just sausage mince in pastry and then you can add other ingredients as Captain has done above.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!