We will be lookin for you...

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I agree, would not have known it without this site!

Captain wrote:

And bye the way, That's not a Pie, This is a Pie. ;)

Well, the pork but is thawed. I am hungry, so I am going to go in and start. Still not sure that 20 minutes in a hot oven in a pork mince will get the carrots and onions to a point where thy will takes good in a sausage, but that is what experimentation is all about!

It will take me close to an hour to cut the pork, grind it and get the rest of the prep done, so will check back one last time before I cook it!
      What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
    • We will see what happens! I did not roll it out quite enough to do 3...so will be a big seam in the last one! I can see why mom piped it!

Ground pork, about 65%/35%...Then the onions, sage, and carrots.

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
    • Great effort (not) by the Embassy!

That recipe will yield a decent Sausage roll, Carrot is optional (I never use it) Sage only needs to be a feint smell, 1/4 to half a teaspoon would be heaps.

I'd double the breadcrumbs and if I was piping (like we did in the lunchbar) I'd add a half cup of water.

I'll dig out the Lunchbar recipe.

• Bentley Meredith wrote:

We will see what happens! I did not roll it out quite enough to do 3...so will be a big seam in the last one! I can see why mom piped it!

Ground pork, about 65%/35%...Then the onions, sage, and carrots.

That's looking good so far Bentley! :thumbup:
    • Way to much fat in the sausage, I will cook on a wire rack next time so the puff is not soaked in grease, and I will make sure I have a wash so that the puff browns and looks better. But that is one fine sausage! Will get it right tomorrow!

• I see slits...I have never worked with puff pastry, so that is going to be the biggest curve...But it is nice to have tutors! I did add about a 1/4 cup of half n half and really whipped it good in the Kitchen-aid!
    • That is a pasty and not a pie. Good effort Bentley. The fat content is a fine line, you definately need enough so it stays moist.

I personally like a bit of vegetable content as it can bring a slight sweetness, but as others have said it is optional. I've also been known to use grated apple in with the pork mince.

I think there is only 1 solution for you, you need to come and visit. The title for best meat pie is pretty hotly contested over here, and when you get a pie from any of the places that make the 'finals', you'll very quickly see what we are talking about.

I'm also going to make a bold call. A great meat pie is better than a great sausage roll. Personal opinion.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - (reserved for future wood fired pizza oven)
    • Wazza wrote:

The fat content is a fine line, you definately need enough so it stays moist.
      This is why I add more breadcrumb...to hold the fat in the filling. In the lunchbar we would make the filling a day before and leave it sit overnight so the breadcrumbs took up some of the fat.
    • OK, it's been a while since I was in the Luncbar files!

Here is what we did:

Sausage mince - 4 cups
      Beef mince - 4 cups
      Breadcrumbs - 8 cups
      Water (warm) – 8 cups
      4 x Chicken stock cubes
      Onion grated (small) 1 cup
      Carrot (grated) – 2 cups OPTIONAL
      Worcestershire Sauce - 4 tablespoons
      Salt and pepper - 4 teaspoon of each

Dissolve the stock cubes in the water, add all the ingredients and mix well.

Pipe out a line of the mixture, the diameter of a 20 cent piece onto a puff pastry sheet and roll up.

Place on an oven tray, seam down, brush the top of each roll with egg wash.

Bake at 220ºC for 15-20 minutes.

Scale this recipe down to a half or quarter of what is listed.
    • Urban Griller wrote:

a Sausage roll with sauce stuffed inside a buttered long bread roll.
      "A roll in a roll with sauce" was the most uttered sentence at the school canteen in my time. From memory they were around two bucks or maybe two fitty.
      Cheers,
      Narm Naleg
      Maximus Wood Fired Oven | GMG Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Weber Genesis E320 | Weber Go Anywhere |