• Finished off the long weekend with a lamb roast. Grabbed a small section of lamb leg as was just cooking for the wife and I and studded it with some rosemary and garlic, rubbed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then thrown in the Akorn. Served up with some crispy roast spuds and glazed carrots. Then cooked up a couple of matcha lava cakes for dessert.

• Mate, that is 100% perfect in all departments. I love crispy roast spuds, how did you do them?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• now I want some.

Even if you had a date with Tom Cruise ? :D

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Mate, that is 100% perfect in all departments. I love crispy roast spuds, how did you do them?

Cheers mate. I cheated with the spuds and cooked them in the oven as I wanted to see how the new oven went with roasting. Roasted them in beef fat which really helped crisp them up and give them some more flavour. Normally I'd throw them in a roasting pan under the meat in the kamado

So not all meated out after the comp? Those spuds look great, now I want some.

I was only down there for the Saturday. I told Wayne that I'd swing by for two hours to help him set up as I was flat out over the weekend and somehow ended up staying to help out for the chicken wing challenge :D

• Just treat the kamado like your indoor oven. The lamb took about an hour, the spuds take about 40 minutes. So put the spuds in after the lamb has been in about 30 minutes (to allow the lamb some resting time while the vege finishes off). It all depends on how you like your lamb cooked. If you want it well done you'll have to cook it a bit longer.

• Bob is on the money and it also depends on how big the spuds are. You should gently par boil them first, for say 5-10 minutes until they just start to get tender but no more. Drain the pot and pour in some oil, put on the lid and give them a shake and stir but be careful they don't fall apart. They should form a fuzzy outer layer which crisps nicely. Place them on the rack (NOT in a tray) around the meat and you are on the way. If they need more time than the meat, that's fine as the meat can rest. If they are done a bit early, pop them in the oven at say 120c to keep warm. A few goes and you'll be on top of it. And try using duck fat instead of oil, it's great.

To get the lamb (and other meats) done right, buy a decent instant read thermometer or and Maverick brand monitor so you can see what's going on as the meat cooks. I got one from BBQs Galore for about $60.

• OK, I've got a 1.6kg leg of lamb. I want to cook it at 350F (I can't change my Maverick to C). I'd like an internal temp of 160F. from your experiences, how long (ball park) do you think this will take to cook?

Sorry Shorty, busy weekend so only just saw this.

I'd back what Swamptrout said and probably guess around 40-50 minutes. Hope it turned out alright!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!