Buying a Slow n Sear (SnS) for a Kettle is a good idea

• Quite a few Weber Kettle owners wonder what's the next BBQ purchase?

In the past the popular next step was to buy a Kamado, especially an Akorn or a Dragon for around $500.

We now have the option to instead buy a Slow n Sear for @250 in Australia with local BBQ Guru Urban Griller selling the SnS.

https://urbangriller.com/shop/charcoal-…r-weber-kettle/

This review is written from the aspect from an existing Kettle owner.

* For some people used to doing things the Kettle way, changing cooking style can be quite a jump to move to a kamado. There are lots of posts around as people struggle to get their head around it. So it is far easier for a Kettle owner to start using a SnS vs a Kamado.
    * It is very easy to do a reverse sear using a SnS than a Kamado where you have to remove the hot deflector as a part of the process or you have to have something like the Kamado Joe Divide and Conquer
    * During a low and slow it is a lot easier to add more fuel to an SnS than a Kamado
    * Owning a SnS is a lot cheaper than a Kamado. eg $250 vs $500 for Akorn, $800 for 18" ceramic, $1700 for name brand ceramic 18" Kamado.
    * Excellent reviews such as this one by well reknown Guru Meathead from Amazing Ribs. http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/slow_n_sear.html
    * Which cooks better food? Baby Back Manic compares a SnS vs Weber Summit (Kamado)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (October 14, 2017 at 11:08 PM).

• seriously $250? That's ridiculous

That's the exchange rate, blame the economy!:

SnS US RRP $115 plus Freight to Australia: US $75 is TOTAL $US $190

US$190 = AU$243.61

The $255 price here includes delivery to a capital city

No different to buying one from the US....just quicker!

• Good to see that most people think its a good idea, just the perception about price.

It is similar to the whole debate for example of no name ceramic Kamado vs name brand such as Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg or whether a No name Car from Asia is better than a European Prestige Car as they both have 4 tyres and an engine.

The point I was making is there is a new option available now for Aussie Weber Kettle owners now that UG sells SnS and we can buy it from somebody who knows their stuff about BBQs.

It is a bit pricey if you for example compare it to the Weber Kettle baskets (which constantly rust away) or a brick or two.

But then if we are talking about cost, you can't beat a $10 charcoal chimney to do an excellent seared steak. So maybe we should just ditch our kettle, kamados and stick burners and dig a hole in the ground and do caveman cook.

• Good to see that most people think its a good idea, just the perception about price.

It is similar to the whole debate for example of no name ceramic Kamado vs name brand such as Kamado Joe and Big Green Egg or whether a No name Car from Asia is better than a European Prestige Car as they both have 4 tyres and an engine.

The point I was making is there is a new option available now for Aussie Weber Kettle owners now that UG sells SnS and we can buy it from somebody who knows their stuff about BBQs.

It is a bit pricey if you for example compare it to the Weber Kettle baskets (which constantly rust away) or a brick or two.

But then if we are talking about cost, you can't beat a $10 charcoal chimney to do an excellent seared steak. So maybe we should just ditch our kettle, kamados and stick burners and dig a hole in the ground and do caveman cook.

Hay mate I was just having a bit of fun with the bricks, I love me gadgets and seeing new stuff, I meant no disrespect to you or UG.

• The price is high, but as I've already stated, it has bought me more value from my kettle as I now use it far more often for more diverse cooks. I have not had mine long but I love it and feel I get value from it.
    For most of buying a weber is almost a once in a lifetime purchase. We expect decades from it. I know this product will last just as long. I justify the price over the lifetime. Helps keep the missus quiet!

• The sear capabilities of the SnS look amazing. I'm not convinced that the low and slow side of the SnS would provide better results than a snake, but I guess convenience/ease of setup is what you are buying.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• The sear capabilities of the SnS look amazing. I'm not convinced that the low and slow side of the SnS would provide better results than a snake, but I guess convenience/ease of setup is what you are buying.

One of the areas the SnS helps with compared to a snake is when you end up with a couple of dodgy briquettes. With the snake when you end up with dodgy briquettes the odds are greater it stops burning. The same thing happens if you don't build the snake properly. If for some reason you ignore the beeping alarms from your thermo during the night you can end up with an expensive lump of uncooked meat in the morning. Not such a good thing on a hot summer night.

The other plus which UG mentioned earlier is the water trough provides moisture and a heat barrier.

I justified the cost when I thought about how many Weber charcoal baskets have rusted out on me and I had to replace at @$40 each time and like @Spook, with the SnS I use the kettle a lot more now.

For some reason when I look for bits to replace the worn out bits on my Kettle from the kerbside clean-ups, there are never charcoal baskets.

• The price is high, but as I've already stated, it has bought me more value from my kettle as I now use it far more often for more diverse cooks. I have not had mine long but I love it and feel I get value from it.
    For most of buying a weber is almost a once in a lifetime purchase. We expect decades from it. I know this product will last just as long. I justify the price over the lifetime. Helps keep the missus quiet!

^^^ This

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!