Cold smoking some creamy cheddar

• I finally got around to cold smoking some cheese last night. Disclaimer This was my first try and I welcome any advice.
    I found this at a local farmers market and it's quite special taste, texture.

I just de waxed and quartered then set my Kamado up with a large ice block and Smokai. This cheese is fairly soft and crumbly hence the 4L ice block in the fire pit on a towel.

Used Samba Apple, cherry blend for the smoke (might smash a banksia next time) then 4 hours in the smoke.
    Once done they were wrapped in cling wrap and I'm thinking 3 days in the fridge to mellow. They will be frozen then until needed.

• Great stuff. I'd be interested to know how you set up the Smokai I poke mine through the chip feeder.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Does it need 4 hours?

Did you have a quiet little nibble before wrapping in plastic?

I've only had a bit of a play with smoking cheese. I use the family Q and sit the cheese on a rack so it's above the side air vents and put some GMG pellets in a metal strainer and light them up. About an hour or a touch more is all it seems to need.

Have not used ice yet but coming into summer may have to. During the cooler months keeping the cheese and pellets at opposite ends of the bbq does not seem to heat the cheese up.

And while I type this I have suddenly realized my new charcoal grill would actually be a better platform to do this than the family Q.

Cheers

Wazza

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yes sir, straight through the chip feeder, mine pinches slightly and is fairly stable.

I had to trim the wooden cap on my Smokai so the lid would shut on it and that keeps it in place. But when I opened the lid, I forgot and the whole thing tipped sideways and the pellets went everywhere ! So I got an old coat hanger, cut it up and made a hook to got over the barrel of the Smokai with the hook end over the bracket for the side table. All good now.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Does it need 4 hours?

I found that a bit long. Especially after it's vac sealed and put in storage for a while as the flavour increases a lot over time.

• I am not 100% sure Wazza, from my bacon experiments it always was very strong to start with hence letting it mellow for a few days, sure smells strong but we will try it in a few days then update. There's every chance I have gone too far.

• I had to trim the wooden cap on my Smokai so the lid would shut on it and that keeps it in place. But when I opened the lid, I forgot and the whole thing tipped sideways and the pellets went everywhere ! So I got an old coat hanger, cut it up and made a hook to got over the barrel of the Smokai with the hook end over the bracket for the side table. All good now.

yeah I remember seeng your setup around the time I bought my Smokai, I have not needed to modify mine as it fits spot on... I did make up a quick gasket for hot smoking although I find I need to keep a close eye on it, I've had the chips run low before and boom, started overshooting even with the Qmaster looking after it. Over complicating things.

• yeah I remember seeng your setup around the time I bought my Smokai, I have not needed to modify mine as it fits spot on

I've just realised that I have thin nomex gaskets on the kamado but if I had the felt type, it would probably fit with out me shaving the top off.

I'm confused with the use of the Wang. If there's no charcoal in there, what is it doing ?

• I tried it running charcoal on a shortie cook, The idea was to get nice consistant smoke. The Idea was flawed as UG informed me that small burning wood AIDS a smoke ring not consistant smouldering.
    I've had better results fashioning a Charcoal snake around a old water pan with chips on top. I was curious.

• I am not 100% sure Wazza, from my bacon experiments it always was very strong to start with hence letting it mellow for a few days, sure smells strong but we will try it in a few days then update. There's every chance I have gone too far.

I've never used a smokai either, so really don't know. Just looked at your pics again and it doesn't look that dark, doesn't look 'over smoked' from the image, so will be interesting to hear your thoughts in a couple of days. Why not have a little nibble now so you have something to compare it with?

Not sure if you're into blue cheese or brie? One of my mucking around with smoking very recently was with the cheapest bit of brie and blue I could get from coles. $3 each, so yeah very cheap. Tasted before smoking and was quite meh about them, after smoking they became very edible, and were quickly demolished by the people I presented them too. Definitely something I want to do more of, so will be keeping an eye out for your conclusions here.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Righto, just dragged the lady out and had a play, cut 6 cubes, deskinned 2 and some Lemmon pepper seasoning on a board.
    Our thoughts, does not taste too smokey (this cheese is very rich) definitely needs more time to permeate through, but we were just sitting there tasting and smiling for 10mins. The unskinned had a slight bitter taste but not overly worrying. Another spice would be better as its a chili cheese already. The deskinned was not too overdone in my opinion, not bitter but has not transferred the whole way through.
    Pretty happy for a first try and it should only get better :thumbup:

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!