• Hi all,

A friend of mine is importing these and I I think I may need one of the large ones! Just have to work out where to put it :huh::dunno:
    I like the idea of the height adjustable grill that rotates. I also like the fact that wood fire grilling is possible due to the maximum distance between the fire and the grill.
    Thoughts?

https://schwenkerblog.wordpress.com

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• You called me a what?

Does it come with the fire pit as well? Says it weighs 2.5kg on the website, I'm guessing that's a typo?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Does it come with the fire pit as well? Says it weighs 2.5kg on the website, I'm guessing that's a typo?

I don't think it does, I've asked the same question and hopefully he'll reply in here. It probably weighs 2.5Kg because it doesn't come with fire pit or rubber mat.

• It’s a real limitation of my current fire pit

That looks like a nice fire pit though, you could continue to use it and add the schwenker on top of it to get the extra height and the spinning grill.

• Here some more info about the Schwenker.

At this stage I don't sell fire pits and rubber mats. Most fire pits will do, there are some on Gumtree and here is one on Sale at Anaconda https://www.anacondastores.com/camping-hiking…it/p/BP90079971

I bought a square piece of rubber mat at https://www.clarkrubber.com.au/ and did cut the circle on my own.

The main difference compared to traditional Gas BBQ or Charcoal grill are the rotating and swinging movement (which is called Schwenken in German), because of this constant movement your meat is evenly distributed over the heat, your fire or charcoal always has hotspots, so you constantly have to re-arrange your meat on the grill. Instead of re-arranging the meat on the grill, the Schwenker allows you to move the grill, without re-arranging the meat.

And secondly, the height adjustment, which is a no brainer, if you need more heat you put it down, if you need less you put it up, easy.

Regarding the weight, the Schwenker comes in two sizes which you can see on this photo

https://schwenkerblog.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/schwenkersize2.jpg

The left one with a diameter of 70 cm is indeed only 2.5kg, the right one even less (45 cm).
    The one on the photo at the beginning of this thread is a handmade customized 'one of a kind' Schwenker that I own since two decades, that is much heavier and more robust and would probably cost >$1000 if I were to import it to Australia.

The ones I imported work exactly the same way, the grill is made of stainless steel but the tripod is aluminum, hence it's not as heavy.

Other benefits of are:
    - Quick and easy assemble which you can see here.
    - It's relative small size, which makes it suitable for any camping trip or picnic
    - The large 70 cm grill offers 3848 qcm of space for delicious steaks, sausages, etc
    - You can use the Schwenker with wood fire or charcoal

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to post them here in the forum.

Cheers
    Jens

Cheers,
    Jepi02

• I used to have something very similar for camping when I was a much younger and I loved it. It traveled Australia with me but I lost it somewhere and could never find anything the same.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L09 using Tapatalk

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• I wish we did @Bentley Meredith, unfortunately the best we can get for under $2000 (let alone $220) is the Cyprus grill with adjustable grill height. Yet the height is not enough to cook with burning wood and the grill doesn't rotate. I can see quite a few advantages to the schwenker,but I'm still trying to think of a solution to how I could possibly fit it into my arsenal.

• I would hate the swing, I want stability when I am tending my cook. But that would be easily over come with a simple hinged hook on each side. If you are truly grilling, and doing it for a large crowd, and know how to manage a wood fire for grilling, it is a blast to cook! I see this being very popular in OZ now, BBQ is taking off, and hardwood cooking is becoming popular, I think...and as most of your countryman are like me I think, and would much rather grill something, then Smoke or BBQ it!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• I came across this website which explains how to marinate your Schwenker steaks and also how to build a basic Schwenker on your own (yet no height adjustment)

Here is how they 'pitch' the Schwenker, and I couldn't describe it in a better way!

https://meatfiregood.com/2012/09/06/schwenker-recipe-grill/

Schwenker is a popular German style cook-out — a combination of recipe and method of cooking. And Wow! It tastes fantastic! Instead of throwing your meat on a grill above charcoal where the cook must constantly move the meat to even out cooking temperatures, the Germans have an ingenious but simple method: they swing that sweet chariot of flavorful meat right over the coals, baby!

Cheers,
    Jepi02

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!