• I feel like I should start by apologising for even posting this question. I understand there are a few other threads that have touched in this topic but just seeking a bit more insight.

New member, excited to be on board. Finally taking plunge and getting a ceramic cooker after using standard BBQ, Webber, gas smoker up to now.

Of course the key question now is Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe. Like them both, both seem almost the same, but some recent updates on Kj may have swayed me that way - although I just missed the 20% BBQ galore sale. Is there really much difference, price is similar, cooking similar - I have NO DOUBT I'm overthinking it.

Any help appreciated

Kamado Joe Classic II - Hark Gas Smoker - Coolabah 6 Burner - Beefeater Bugg

• I have NO DOUBT I'm overthinking it.

Spot on, either is a good BBQ and life time cooker.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The KJ and BGE are both excellent Kamados.

Both have excellent accessories.

How you like to cook will help sway you either way as the accessories choice help in different ways.

Some people make the choice based on the colour.

Others select by how far the bbq store is.

• At the end of the day, All kamados will cook the same, look for the things like the quality of the ceramic, sturdiness of the hinge mechanism, frame and grills, and the warranty. They are largely a similar size and shape on the inside so most accessories are interchangeable.

• I wish i could check out the price of the BGE, but it seems to be not published online.

Is it comparable to the KJ?

The BGE dealers aren't allowed to publish prices. You have to call/email them.

How they stack up against each other depends on what accessories you add.

It is one of the gotchas when comparing Kamados.

You see some ads and the Kamado looks really cheap. But when you look into it more they are really nothing more than a shell. They don't have things like the smoking stone, extender, trolley etc.

Both the BGE and KJ have a great range of accessories. One thing they have in common is the high quality of the accessories is not cheap.

Also be careful as not all accessories work on other Kamados.

When comparing the specs and prices the usual accessories list are:

cover
    smoking stone/deflector
    grill extender
    trolley/cart that the kamado sits in

Other accessories include
    Cast iron plate/s
    Additional grills

Here's how the cost comparison pans out roughly

@$500 range = metal Kamados like the Akorn and Dragon, 20" diameter grill
    @$800 = Auplex Chinese generic ceramic Kamado for 18" diameter grill
    @$900 = Costco chinese made ceramic, Auplex generic for @20/21" diameter grill
    @$1,600 -$1,900 = Name brand ceramic Kamado such as Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, Primo for 18" diameter grill

All of the Kamado can cook great food.

Typically the brand name Kamados have better ceramics. Simple checks such as thicker sides etc aren't a good way to check the ceramic quality. The Kamados with better ceramic normally have a higher top temperature. This is important if you like to cook at high temps. As an example you will find lots of posts around where BGE owners run their Kamados at a scorching 1,000F. Which is the same temp used by the top steak houses to sear steak. Because of the quality of the ceramic they can do it again and again. The cheaper Kamados have a max temp @700F.

However if you intend to use your Kamado for low and slow you will probably see a greater difference on how things turn out by the type/quality of the meat used, how you prepped it, the type of fuel used and how you stacked in the firebox etc. You may find in the cheaper Kamado you have to do a few things such as seal it up a bit better. But once done they are trouble free and you get many happy years of operation.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (December 3, 2017 at 11:05 PM).

• A lot of good comments. I was similarly torn recently so can absolutely sympathise with the quandary. While I had managed to set enough money aside to cover any of the options depending what I chose, I wanted to ensure I was getting value if I went for the more expensive option.
    Ultimately I went for BGE due to heritage as perverse as that sounds. I figured that if they been going since the 70s then it's a solid option, the extras for the KJ nearly had me (and the fact I'm a Rangers fan and fairly avese to green) but ultimately I felt 40 years odd years of sales meant it's a safe option

• Thanks 12x7 for that info - really helpful, some good insights.

From what im reading and hearing, basically KJ and BGE seem very similar (in quality, price etc), almost a personal choice really

A lot of good comments. I was similarly torn recently so can absolutely sympathise with the quandary. While I had managed to set enough money aside to cover any of the options depending what I chose, I wanted to ensure I was getting value if I went for the more expensive option.
    Ultimately I went for BGE due to heritage as perverse as that sounds. I figured that if they been going since the 70s then it's a solid option, the extras for the KJ nearly had me (and the fact I'm a Rangers fan and fairly avese to green) but ultimately I felt 40 years odd years of sales meant it's a safe option

Yeah totally know what you mean, ive basically been set on a BGE until a mate pointed out KJ (i didnt think there another type at a comparable level). Some of the recent additions (new gasket and air hinge) are really only things getting me to consider KJ

• Yeah totally know what you mean, ive basically been set on a BGE until a mate pointed out KJ (i didnt think there another type at a comparable level). Some of the recent additions (new gasket and air hinge) are really only things getting me to consider KJ

What's your mate got is also a good way to buy a Kamado. Like most things you can see one in its "native habitat" without the fancy salesman pitch. Which is why in the US you see events such as EGGfest for the BGE owners simiarly there are meet-ups for Kamado Joe and Primo owners.

Something about the BGE, KJ and Primo owners and Kamado owners in general. Most of them are very happy with whatever they have bought. All the Kamados from the lower cost to the mega expensive have made their owners happy. Check out the price tag for one of these and be prepared to mortgage the house!

https://komodokamado.com/

Blaze Aluminium Kamado test.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The popular Q combo is a Kamado and an egg style gasser such as the Weber Q or Ziggy from BBQG. This is more than enough capacity to cook up a feast for a crowd. You have a Q for when fire bans are on. You have a Q when you don't want to cook with smoke flavour and one with.

Edited once, last by 12x7 (December 4, 2017 at 4:55 PM).

• Wowsers - now that's taking it to a new level - might order 3 of the Pebble & Bronze just for fun (i think I'd be too scared to cook on them at that price). Look more like garden sculptures than cookers!

Yep agree re combo - i have a BUGG as a simple gaser when needed (kids sausages) and the Kamado will round it off nicely. THen the Hark gas smoker can go to holiday unit

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!