• In my experience is is still completely set and forget. I found P4 worked perfectly well and it will sit at 225 all day quite happily. In time I forgot about the P setting as it simply just did it's thing.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• SAVANNAH STOKER CONTROLLER.

Here is an option for those wanting the fornetto pellet grill to have the smarts of a gmg. The after market Savannah Stoker controller.

I now have one in the traegar and the temp fluctuations are now pretty much non existent. It uses PID like the gmg's. It is also programmable, for example you could set it to smoke at a lower temp for a time frame, it will then automatically raise the temp to the cooking temp, and then using the included meat probe, will drop the temp to 65 degrees to keep warm once the meat has reached the desired IT.

From memory I got it landed in Oz for about $180, so this would give you something very close to the GMG DC for about $680.

However, unless you really want to be able to programme, give the included controller a go. It's low and slow, small temp fluctuations are not the issue some people make them out to be IMHO.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Well the Auger, Temp sensor, Fire Crucilble and controller all look like the old Traegers.

It does come with the "P" setting option. It has the info in the manual as well.
    After looking at Traegers today I am even more convinced this was a great buy!

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• In my experience is is still completely set and forget. I found P4 worked perfectly well and it will sit at 225 all day quite happily. In time I forgot about the P setting as it simply just did it's thing.

It does add another variable, I had all sorts of dramas working out the Junior. P3 or P4 depending on outdoor temp. If you stray too far you are looking at runaway temps or flat putting the thing out... Im only talking about the junior here but starting to think the smaller size made it more sensitive.

The controller pictured here does look similar to the older traeger but there is differences when you compare the 2. Its not just a rebrand rebadge job.

• It does add another variable, I had all sorts of dramas working out the Junior. P3 or P4 depending on outdoor temp. If you stray too far you are looking at runaway temps or flat putting the thing out... Im only talking about the junior here but starting to think the smaller size made it more sensitive.

That is a great point Geoff, perhaps the smaller chamber is more sensitive to change. I've got the big bugger Traegar so with a larger volume maybe it's more forgiving. I can honestly say I have only ever had the temp run away on me once, and that was when I first got it and was playing with settings.

When the traegar controller was still in it, and P4 had been selected, I'd simply set it to 225, put my meat in, then get in the car and leave.

Don't know if it was just my q, but that's my experience. If the smaller chamber is more sensitive, then perhaps the Savannah Stoker controller becomes more of an option?

• Ive only driven the Traeger Junior though this Fornetto looks very similar, keep an eye on the 'hot spots' at the edges of the drip tray. My Junior would burn up ribs in no time if they are too close to the edges.

Cool little machine though, Ive had some fun with it and the Fornetto will be similar.

No ones mentioned it here so I will throw it in. If the thing goes out do not just try to restart. Pull all the hot stuff out and check the firepit. I have had an incident where I overflowed the firepit with pellets and upon relighting the thing absolutly lit up. Lots of flames, lots of smoke and some pretty unhappy neibours :whistling:

• Have had an interesting time with the temperature control.
    Having to run on LOW for most part of cook and still getting temps up to 110/120c......?!?!
    Running at the 95c mark and getting temp spurts here too up to 130/140c.
    Could this means the "P" needs adjusting? This thing just seems to run a little hot.
    Will post rib picture later but must say not the resulting "look" I was hoping for. ?(

Not to say they won't eat well. Time will tell.

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• nice result bud, real nice for a first cook :D

Yeah the swings happen with this type of controller, you wont ever totally smooth it out but it matters none. Just make sure the peaks aint too hot and the lows dont put the thing out. Use the same brand pellets while you are getting comfortable with it, another variable sorted.

Sounds exactly like my Junior but the swings dont affect the cook unless it gets out of hand. Just makes using an alarmed maverick a PITA :thumbup:

• Its funny, I have gone to cooking ribs at 135° for 3 hours, some call it the Fast Eddy method. It tends to render the fat, make the ribs very tender and do it all in 3 hours. Don't fixate on the controller temperature. Get something you are comfortable using to measure the temperature at the grate level and adjust the controller accordingly. I don't BBQ at under 100° any more, so it would work a treat for me. Most Pellet units will put out good smoke between 95-115°...so hopefully you will enjoy the unit. I am more of a Grilling person then a BBQ person, so I would be more curious if it will grill? Nothing like a hardwood grilled cheeseburger...and a hardwood cooked meatloaf...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Hi.
    Well I took WAZZA'S advice and set the "P" to setting 5. :thumbup: Seems to have worked well for the lunch test today.
    Did these on 200c and they took no more than 15/20 min maybe to cook.
    Mmmmmm... delicious if I do say. Maryland is always moist but these were superb cooked in the pellet smoker.
    I love this rub as it is a LOW salt as you will see on the label.
    You can always add more salt. It is a very tasty little rub, you should check it out.
    I purchased the 500gr pack this time at $38.00 plus delivery $5.00.

Thanks. Soz about the upside downer!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!