Costco ribs on the GMG

• G'day all,
    I had a crack at a rack of costco pork ribs today and the results were so-so.
    I started off with a 1.9kg rack of pork ribs, which I rubbed with cherry rub and left them in the fridge overnight.
    This morning I fired up the GMG and set it to 110°C and put the ribs in. I used the 'bend test' a couple of times through the cook and they weren't even looking like bending until the last hour of the cook. Then I applied some sweet baby ray's sauce and left them for about 1 hour. I then pulled them and cut them up and served with some corn cobs and jacket potatoes.

Some observations and stats of the cook, feel free to jump in and critique.

The ribs were quite meaty but not a lot of fat.
    The cook went for 8 hours at 110°C. There was no foiling, wrapping, spritzing or searing (I'm a lazy so and so). I used this method last time with some aldi ribs and they turned out fine, although the last cook may have been a bit shorter?
    When I was cutting the ribs, I found that the thick side had a thick bark, was a bit stringy and it broke more than cut cleanly than the thinner side.
    There seemed to be good smoke penetration and the flavour was good, just a bit too chewy.

Thanks for looking.

Primo large oval, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber kettle, Weber Q3200, Weber Go Anywhere.

• I’ve cooked Costco ribs both on my pro q and PBC and always have had good results.
    Always used the 3/2/1 method on the pro q and just hung them in the PBC for 2-3 hrs depending on the size and then another 15 mins with a glaze of sweet baby rays.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I find ribs difficult to do and haven't had a lot of success with the 3-2-1 method I must say. Yours look OK to me though. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Good color and smoke ring! The rub if it has salt in it will draw out some moisture and can leave a more course (stringy) texture when applied for that long. Have you ever tried 135° bone down for 3 hours? It amazed me how well the racks rendered, and how moist and tender at the same time.

Can I ask you a question...Do they sell what I call a Beef Back rib at you alls Costco? Not the Short Or Chuck rib...but the back?

which I rubbed with cherry rub and left them in the fridge overnight.
    This morning I fired up the GMG and set it to 110°C and put the ribs in. I used the 'bend test' a couple of times...

Some observations and stats of the cook, feel free to jump in and critique.

The cook went for 8 hours at 110°C.
    When I was cutting the ribs, I found that the thick side had a thick bark, was a bit stringy and it broke more than cut cleanly than the thinner side.
    There seemed to be good smoke penetration and the flavour was good, just a bit too chewy.

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• I've had good success with Costco ribs, I don't think I've ever had to cook them that long though. I usually do something like 3-1-1 and they come out great.
    The baby back ribs from there take less time.

Bentley, back ribs aren't that common here but some butchers and one supermarket chain sells them. I've tried them once and they worked great!

Royal Kamado, Primo Oval XL, Akorn jr, GMG Daniel Boone and Pit Barrel Cooker

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!