BBQ tour of Texas - April 2018

• If you find yourself out drinking on the Dirty Six while in Austin I can recommend the Rollin' Smoke food truck - https://www.facebook.com/RollinSmokeATX/

I ate some pulled pork while sober and really enjoyed it... when I was drunk I indulged in the Playboy Sandwich... the ultimate late night BBQ food :D

Also if you after some good donuts in Austin Gourdoughs is freaking awesome. I only bought stuff from their food truck on 6th street but they also have an actual store somewhere in Austin.

• If you are doing any touring, Fredrricksburg has got Rustlin Robs, best chilli/hot stuff shop out there. Stay at Hotel Kitsmiller on Main, fabulous and fun. Wake up to a breakfast burrito directly across the road

I think at this stage we'll be heading south to San Antonio from Austin by way of Lockhart, so don't think we'll get out west to Fredericksburg. With a bbq joint penciled in for most days at brunch due to FOMO, I think we'll be skipping breakfast most days so I'm going to miss out on many breakfast taco/burrito opportunities which makes me a sad panda.

Maybe by the time I get down to San Antonio I'll have so much bbq fatigue that I'll be able to hit up some good texmex breakfast.

• I think at this stage we'll be heading south to San Antonio from Austin by way of Lockhart, so don't think we'll get out west to Fredericksburg. With a bbq joint penciled in for most days at brunch due to FOMO, I think we'll be skipping breakfast most days so I'm going to miss out on many breakfast taco/burrito opportunities which makes me a sad panda.

Maybe by the time I get down to San Antonio I'll have so much bbq fatigue that I'll be able to hit up some good texmex breakfast.

San Antonio is breakfast taco heaven - they’re everywhere.

And the holes in the walls are the best spots - egg bacon country sausage and potato with salsa verde for a buck a go - boom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current tools: "DE" code Weber Performer, GMG Jim Bowie, Jumbuck flat plate (for bacon, eggs, pancakes, tortillas ONLY :) ), Bunnings spit
    Gone, but not forgotten: Weber Smokey Mountain 22" & 18", Horizon 20" Offset :cheers:

• Take photos of every public toilet on the way, I'll show them to Management and If we ever go, maybe we won't have to stop at every one, like we do whenever we go anywhere here!

Half of my time is spent hanging around women's toilets,for the right reasons but you do get to meet some other nice guys there. Plenty of time to chat.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Be looking at your pics with envy.
    If I ever get to go to the states,my hobbies have made the trip twice as expensive as I would have to cover a fair bit of ground. Oregon for brewing. Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky,Nth+Sth Carolina for all things bbq. So much flavour so little time :cheers::yum)

• If you do end up eating in Lockhart, I really will be curious as to your take on the BBQ at the different places. As I said, if I had it to do over again, I would pass. I think for folks like us, who have tried to hone the art, and in my case compete & more importantly judge competition all across the US, the standard Is so much higher then your average guy. And they simply were not there...Each place did have its moment though.

I think at this stage we'll be heading south to San Antonio from Austin by way of Lockhart

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Be looking at your pics with envy.
    If I ever get to go to the states,my hobbies have made the trip twice as expensive as I would have to cover a fair bit of ground. Oregon for brewing. Texas, Louisiana, Kentucky,Nth+Sth Carolina for all things bbq. So much flavour so little time :cheers::yum)

You hit the nail on the head of why I'm heading up to Portland first. I liked the idea of doing a total bbq tour of all the regions and all the styles but feared it would just be too much at once and I wouldn't have the time to so it all properly so thought I would just focus on central Texas for this one.

If you do end up eating in Lockhart, I really will be curious as to your take on the BBQ at the different places. As I said, if I had it to do over again, I would pass. I think for folks like us, who have tried to hone the art, and in my case compete & more importantly judge competition all across the US, the standard Is so much higher then your average guy. And they simply were not there...Each place did have its moment though.

I think from a history perspective it's worth checking out so I'll likely be stopping in, everything is subject to daily hangovers though.

• Got pulled over by a state trooper in Waco once. Was interesting.

Current tools: "DE" code Weber Performer, GMG Jim Bowie, Jumbuck flat plate (for bacon, eggs, pancakes, tortillas ONLY :) ), Bunnings spit
    Gone, but not forgotten: Weber Smokey Mountain 22" & 18", Horizon 20" Offset :cheers:

• Well let’s just say my wife who was sleeping on our drive from San Antonio to Dallas woke up to a state trooper at her window gun drawn for a routine speeding stop. They don’t play in Texas - and can’t blame them with their gun laws. But yeah - he was nice as shit once he heard my accent and let me off with a warning :D

• I don't have much of an Australian accent but you can bet I'd be laying it on thick if that happened to me!

In other news, my sister has a neighbor who is a retired oilman from Texas and he's taken great interest in my upcoming trip, he sent me this recent article on the death of the co-founder of Salt Lick:

http://www.wideopeneats.com/salt-lick-co-f…source=facebook

I had no idea about her but she seemed like an absolute legend, if you're like me you'll get a few surprises when you read about her.

• I don't have much of an Australian accent but you can bet I'd be laying it on thick if that happened to me!

I have a bastardised accent having spent the first few years of my life growing up in the UK but once they picked up on the strange accent they asked where I was from. Said Australia and I had free drinks for most of my stay in Austin :D

• I don't have much of an Australian accent

Australians don't have an accent. The rest of the world does however.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• When I first went to the US when I was 16, this happened more than once:

Customer service rep: "Where you from?"
    Me: "Australia"
    Customer service rep: "You speak real good English"

One of the times was checking in at a motel where the owners were legitimately called Ken and Barbie.

God I love 'Merica.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!