My Kamado journey (P.S. I love my wife)

• agree there Ray but they are different beasts. The ceramic kamado will hold more moisture which is why it's harder to get good crackle or crispy roast spuds in it than a steel BBQ burning wood or even gas.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• So managed to squeeze in a quick cook tonight on the kamado. Wife wanted tagliata so talked her into to reverse searing a NY strip.

Side note: have now discovered that the reverse sear is perfect for dealing with young kids. Came home from work, fired it up. Held at temp (135). Put steak on when the kids bath and bed routine started. Perfect timing once they were done the steak was to temp and ready to be seared

Was able to light and hold temp much easier than last time (and rather quickly - thank you Looft) although still learning the finer details to it.

End result was good. Wife loved it and continues to love the Kamado - liked we could use during the week...any excuse). I would have preferred the steak a little less done (but wouldn't have pleased others) but all personal preference

All in all more good fun and good food

Kamado Joe Classic II - Hark Gas Smoker - Coolabah 6 Burner - Beefeater Bugg

• Sounds very organized and looks like a great steak.

It's little more Chaos at mine.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Close the bottom vent before burping to prevent the inrush of air through the bottom vent when the lid is open. This helps, but doesn't completely prevent the temp spike.

While it is annoying, it can be useful when going from low and slow to crispening up a crackling or chicken skin.

• Random (possibly stupid) question: with the charcoal in the firebox- do you leave it until it's burnt down to ash, or remove some smaller, burnt out bits as you go and top up with new stuff along the way??

Asking for a friend!!!!

• The small bits will gather at the bottom and eventually block the air holes so you need to get rid of them before a new cook starts. Put on a pair of old gloves, move the charcoal around so that the bigger bits are in the middle and all the small stuff to the side. It will eventually burn away but the big bits become small and so the cycle goes. By swirling them around you also move a lot of ash down the holes too, which is good. I clean that our every few cooks as it starts to build up. Grab a few of the small to medium bits for the top of the pile as they light more easily than large chunks.

And once in a while, when there's not much left in there I take it all apart and clean out all the ash and charcoal and start again.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• The small bits will gather at the bottom and eventually block the air holes so you need to get rid of them before a new cook starts. Put on a pair of old gloves, move the charcoal around so that the bigger bits are in the middle and all the small stuff to the side. It will eventually burn away but the big bits become small and so the cycle goes. By swirling them around you also move a lot of ash down the holes too, which is good. I clean that our every few cooks as it starts to build up. Grab a few of the small to medium bits for the top of the pile as they light more easily than large chunks.

And once in a while, when there's not much left in there I take it all apart and clean out all the ash and charcoal and start again.

Thanks Gumb (again) much appreciated and extremely valuable input/advice

Big thanks (from my friend)

Try a kick ash basket. It makes it so easy to get rid of the ash and small charcoal bits. https://american-bbq.com.au/kick-ash-basket

yeah I've got my eyes on one of those just want to get a sense for how it all works first to understand the mechanism of it all (for my friend)

• Also keep an eye on the ash build up underneath the grate and scrape it out through the bottom vent before it gets too much and starts restricting the airflow.

• been a while between drinks (aka kamado cooks) thanks to work and long weekend away, so super pumped to be firing (pun intended) up the KJ tomorrow for my first brisket on the kamado (3.1kg point end brisket).

Ive cooked plenty on gas smoker before, but obviously this is a whole new ball game - looking forward to it, hoping i dont stuff it up. Temp control the key, was going to try an overnight cook, but not sure ive fully mastered the temp control (for that long a period anyway) and whilst im used to waking several times a night (thanks to two kids under 2 yrs) I'd rather try have a semi decent sleep than my waking every hour to check temps etc (which i just know i would do). Will get to an overnighter in due course.

Oh and i get to use the Forge Easy BBQ temp probes i got from UG too

Will post some pics and updates as things progress...and the SF&F stubby holders get a good workout

• Ok updates
    Got fire going at 6.15am although had some trouble getting it up to temp. I tried a few things for first time which might have contributed

Foiled the deflectors - which seems to be fine
    Added a water pan- not sure if bither again. Definitely effected temp and moisture initially. A lot of condensation and moisture around the top vent.

Got brisket in a 7.10am

Simple salt, pepper garlic powder rub. Set the new forge temp probes and away we went

The internal temp climbed quickly. Got to 65-70 within 3 hours, which I thought was fast. But has since stalled, which I'm fine with...ride it out

Not sure what's happened with the mowhawk.

Forge temp gauge has been good. Although not sure I've put the Cooke Rome in the right place.

Saying it's 110-115 when Kamado gauge is around 130-135. Initially thought it may have been the water pan and being too close s to meat that effected temp. Not sure see how rest of cook goes. Good little unit, only issue was when I went to shops it obviously disconnects, which was fine, when it reconnects it restarts all timers etc but not that big a deal

Will likely wrap in paper later once bark forms better but not too fussed about pushing through the stall (just yet anyway)

Report back later

• Hi ya Coal,

Been flat out, guessing this cook is well over, but figured I'd give my 2c worth.

Firstly pull the temp guage out of the bbq, get some water on a rolling solid boil and test the gauge. It could simply be the difference in height between the grill or the guage, or it could be out. Testing at 100 degrees will give you a pretty good idea.

Secondly I have never placed a water pan in a kamado. The lower air movement in them inherently retains more moisture anyway.

Other comments, cook was looking real good.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Hey gang apologies for the looong delay in updating- been a mad day

So final update on project brisket

Well it happened, I've heard many stories about the brisket stall that won't let up, and I'm now one of those people. But I'm proud to be a member of the Neverending Brisket Stall club, looking forward to my first meeting and the annual pub catch up!!!

As stated above it stalled at 70 and stayed there for at least 3 hours, wrapped in paper then eventually climbed to 77, and would NOT move...for another 2-3 hours.

I've cooked many briskets before, some stalled some didn't, have wrapped to get through and sometimes not, never lasted longer than 2 hours.

Anyway it wasn't all bad as wasn't too fussed about time (other than having to deal with it all later than expected. Eventually took it off at 9.30pm - 14 hours later

End result was a ripper though so was really happy. Some of the ends of the slices were a bit dry but to be expected as the thinner ends.

Great smoke flavour, small hint of smoke ring (but I'm not fussed by that, read enough to know what it's about)

All in all a good cook, albeit longer (and a tad more stressful) than expected. But once you taste that juicy brisket it's all worth it

As always photos don't do it justice, stil lworking in my food photography skills

Can the President of the Neverending Brisket Stall club make sure they add me to the mailing list - looking forward to beers and a good looooooong story

• Hey all

Just a couple of updates and a few more questions (aka learning) along the journey.

Side note: i wont keep this thread going much longer (especially with cooks etc, will start posting them in other suitable areas) - this has been a bit of a record of my experiences and learnings so far, and definitely helpful so big thanks to all that have contributed ideas, suggestions and support

New Top Vent issue:
    Above i made comment about using a water pan when cooking brisket (as i stated i wont be doing it again) and the amount of moisture and condensation around the top vent (which to me is an affect of the design - steam has to go out sideways rather than straight up through old style vent). After the cook was done i did notice that the vent had some issues with the paint bubbling and peeling - im aware this has been a common problem. (Hopefully can be picked up in photos)

Gave BBQ Galore a call today, sent them photos and new Vent is being sent out immediately, cant fault that service. Doesn't really effect the use of KJ (other than perhaps paint bits peeling off and dropping on to food) but given the price of the unit, figured I'd get a new one before it continues to get worse (since ribs cook on saturday it has peeled off further). Not sure if its directly related to the steam, moisture issue from water pan, but i did actually open vent to clean it before this cook and it was perfect - ive done several long cooks (ribs, Pork Shoulders) so can be only different aspect i can think of at this stage.

Questions:
    Couple of other questions and comments

- Fire up is going ok (Looft), seem to be able to get lit easy enough, the challenge is how to keep lit/heating up (especially on low temp targets), without spiking too quick, but also without closing off too much much that it dies out or takes too long to build up to temp. I found it particularly challenging when the deflectors where in, so wasnt sure when best to put them in? Wait for temp then add, place them in as soon as lit? I'm sure just part of the learning process

- Probably links to my next question: is there any science or technique to how the charcoal needs to be placed in the firebox? And how/where you are best to light??

- Which links to my next question: wood chunks - again does it matter where they are placed? And can they be put in at start prior to lighting or need to add later? For ribs on weekend, i just had a apple chunk in centre and lit from side, seemed to work out fine (other than slow start up as mentioned above).

Thanks again for all the input and help along the way - much much much appreciated

• Try a kick ash basket.

http://www.kickashbasket.com/

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I found the standard fire grate a bit too restrictive for air flow.

With the kick ash I can get the temp up faster, better control and easier to clean.

No need for a water pan. A Kamado keeps the moisture in. I tried water pans and ended up with lots of moisture leaking from the top vent down the sides of the dome which made messy greasy streak marks.

The most smoke flavour gets absorbed in the first hour of cooking. Place the chunks so they provide smoke for the first hour.

• thanks mate - yeah i have heard lots about the KAB, will definitely look into it

Complete agree about the waterpan, not necessary at all, and yeah i had the same issues

• - Fire up is going ok (Looft), seem to be able to get lit easy enough, the challenge is how to keep lit/heating up (especially on low temp targets), without spiking too quick, but also without closing off too much much that it dies out or takes too long to build up to temp. I found it particularly challenging when the deflectors where in, so wasnt sure when best to put them in? Wait for temp then add, place them in as soon as lit? I'm sure just part of the learning process

I have all vents open until it gets going and once it does, the temp will rise quickly so you have to shut it down in steps. Maybe to half closed as it gets to about half way to target and keep watching it. Keep closing gradually as it gets to the target.

Probably links to my next question: is there any science or technique to how the charcoal needs to be placed in the firebox? And how/where you are best to light??

Light in the middle with a slight pyramid shape to the pile. I put small stuff back on top and that lights a bit faster. I'll keep the looft on it for a minute of so until the charcoal is glowing in a circle about 20cm in diameter. The higher your target, the more you light initially. It's just practice, practice practice. When you are happy that it's going OK, put in the deflector and racks etc, open vents and close the lid. Don't wait until it's at target before putting in the deflector.

hich links to my next question: wood chunks - again does it matter where they are placed? And can they be put in at start prior to lighting or need to add later?

They go on the edge of the fire so they start up early but a couple further away are good and will catch later. They go in when you've reached target so you need to (carefully) remove the grills and delector, place the chunks, put the hardware back in, add the food and go. Try not to have the lid open for any longer than necessary because that can lead to a runaway temperature too.

• Probably links to my next question: is there any science or technique to how the charcoal needs to be placed in the firebox? And how/where you are best to light??

My only advice is to remember that the burn (and therefore temp) is controlled by the airflow. I've never felt the need for a KAB, just make sure you have plenty of airflow so that oxygen can keep the coals burning and you're controlling the temp with the vents. I've even pushed all the coals to one side on some occasions where I had too many small pieces of coal and the air holes where getting blocked by them.

With the wood chunks I suggest that you try the free stuff, like banksia cones. That way you won't care if you use a couple too many. I usually have them touching the burning coals from the get go and have enough so get smoke for the first hour or so (which for low and slow is a few banksia cones).

• hi gang hope all are well,

I've been away, busy, crook, busy, and busy lately that haven't had as much BBQing time as i like, nor been able to contribute or post here much - ive missed you all!!!

As part of my ongoing learning journey, my last cook (which didn't happen - no photos) raised a few questions that ive been meaning to work out the answer, relevance and importance of

1. Smoke: did a pork collar and it had a very strong smoke flavour - probably only time ive ever thought, geez thats too much, over powers the rest of the flavour. I had used one piece of Apple wood (size of fist perhaps) - placed in when fire and coals were firing. Waited for the initial white smoke to disappear then placed meat in. However i did notice some distinct smoke coming out the vent throughout the cook (approx 7 hours). I've always placed wood chunks on to or right next to lit coals so start burning immediately, but wondering if this time it didnt fully take straight away or the chunk was too big and burnt too long thus more smoke.
    So i guess my question is really, should i be doing anything different? Is there something im doing that caused this to happen??

2. Ash - i have started to notice after cooks (prior to next cook) that there is a large amount of ash left in the firebox amongst the remaining charcoal. TO the point that if i get in a mix it up or scrap it into the bottom vent the pull out ash drawer is completely full...and then some. So im wondering whether that is a sign of the charcoal quality?? Its Cleanheat Premium Lump charcoal, seemed alright at first but now is leaving a lot of ash. Or could all this be related to the point above re smoke?

Anyway, that's what has been rattling around in my mind for a couple of weeks, looking to get back on the Kamado wagon this weekend so thought I'd see if the collective wisdom of the BBQ brethren could provide some insights

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!