Sunday night carne asada tacos

• My meat is all seasoned and marinated ready for some socal style carne asada street tacos tomorrow night.

Marinade a citrus mix of lemon, orange and lime juice with coriander, vinegar, oil, garlic and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

Pre Seasoned with a couple of different commercial rubs before going into the marinade.

Will post finished product Sunday night..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current tools: "DE" code Weber Performer, GMG Jim Bowie, Jumbuck flat plate (for bacon, eggs, pancakes, tortillas ONLY :) ), Bunnings spit
    Gone, but not forgotten: Weber Smokey Mountain 22" & 18", Horizon 20" Offset :cheers:

• Looking forward to seeing the results. I sometimes get carna asade beef from Aldi and the family love it. But I would just like to get normal beef and marinate it myself. But I don't know what ratios of what to use to do it.

Sent from my klte using Tapatalk

GMG DB, small Weber kettle. That's it. It's all I have left now. ;(

• Looking forward to seeing the results. I sometimes get carna asade beef from Aldi and the family love it. But I would just like to get normal beef and marinate it myself. But I don't know what ratios of what to use to do it.

Sent from my klte using Tapatalk

I never knew they had it at aldi - that’s fantastic - good to know.

Marinade is very easy mate

You want to get a cut called flap - South American butchers will know what it is - they call it Vacio.

If you can’t find that skirt will work just as good or flank - just butterfly it very thin. Some of the higher end taco joints in LA (by “higher end” I mean $2.50 a taco rather than the $1 joints) use chuck sliced very thin on a meat slicer also - this tastes pretty good but I like the skirt like texture of vacio.

I do a kg at a time. Season it very well and let it sit and absorb into the meat in the fridge for a good Four or so hours then marinade.

For the marinade for the whole kg I do 3 large lemons, 5 small limes, 2 large oranges, about 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 minced cloves of garlic, about 4 tablespoons of Worcestershire, table spoon of olive oil and a finely chopped bunch of coriander leaves.

Use half the marinade for each 500 gram portion of meat unless you have a big brining bucket or something. You want to make sure all the meat is well covered and since it is sliced so thin you don’t want it bunching up. You want all surface area covered with the marinade it tenderises the meat wth the best flavours.

Some people will add a 1/4 cup of beer to that marinade - I prefer it without.

That’s pretty much it. Grill over charcoal or on your hot plate about 30 seconds each side (again the meat is very thin - don’t want it overdone), let it rest in a Dutch oven or similar for about 5 mins after cooking) then chop it all up very fine and return to pot in its juices for serving.

Current tools: "DE" code Weber Performer, GMG Jim Bowie, Jumbuck flat plate (for bacon, eggs, pancakes, tortillas ONLY :) ), Bunnings spit
    Gone, but not forgotten: Weber Smokey Mountain 22" & 18", Horizon 20" Offset :cheers:

• Now theres something new to try. Thanks ND :)

You’ll love it mate.

Serve on two small corn tortillas garnish with coriander leaves and diced onions with some tomatillo salsa / salsa verde.

Will post finished product photo tonight.

I often say if I lived in California I could eat for $7 a day.

A $1 breakfast taco for breakfast, 3 carne asada or al pastor tacos for lunch and the same for dinner :D

And it’s pretty much what we do actually live on when we are over there hahahaha

• Oh and forgot the seasoning.

I like using the commercial ones I have but you can just use a 1:1 mix of salt, pepper, paprika, garlic granules (not salt), msg, onion powder. If you like some heat, throw in some ancho powder.

Season liberally and let it sit and penetrate before you marinade - 4 hours is plenty in the fridge.

• Here they are - these things are a flavour explosion in your mouth!

And it always goes down better with a Mexican coke!

• You are the one.

Bahahahaha!!

Ive been called a lot of things in my life... but Taco Jesus has to be up there!

• Well that is one hell of a good looking taco TJ ^^
    Your Salsa Verde, does it have tomateo's ? if so where do you get them from?

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Here they are - these things are a flavour explosion in your mouth!

And it always goes down better with a Mexican coke!

Wow - these look pretty tasty - If I had known these were on the menu I would have dropped around later in the evening!!!

Green Grill Dome - Traeger Pro 22 - Weber OTG - Bunnings Spit - Hibachi (of various types) - Traeger Junior

• Well that is one hell of a good looking taco TJ ^^
    Your Salsa Verde, does it have tomateo's ? if so where do you get them from?

Sorry I missed this earlier. Back to work this week and been a bit hectic.

Yes my salsa verde is tomatillo based. You can find fresh if you look hard enough, but in all seriousness they're just so easy to get canned. Many importers will sell direct to public - check out http://www.importedmexicanfoods.com - Angel is a legend and always has canned tomatillos in stock amongst many other things and sells direct to the public. I'll also buy corn tortillas from him frozen when we CBF making them.

Salsa verde so easy to make. Chuck your canned tomatillos in a food processor with a little bit of lemon juice, lime juice, salt and pepper to taste and jalapenos to your heat likings. That's pretty much it. Add all your ingredients slowly and slowly pulse and keep tasting till you get the flavour profile you're looking for.

Angel also imports both Hendez and Goya brand bottled salsa verde. Bottled variety is also good and we use it everytime we know it's just us eating. I like the Goya brand better than Hendez - Hendez tends to be a little thin for my liking and Goya a bit more full.

• Wow - these look pretty tasty - If I had known these were on the menu I would have dropped around later in the evening!!!

Cheers mate!

I did offer compensation - haha!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!