Pork boston butt & ribs in the Traeger.

• Hi.
    So here is the start of me pork cook for today.
    Pork butt has had a reasonable injection, as have the ribs ever so slightly.
    Some before pictures.
    Thanks.

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

• Hi.
    So I had to fly off to work leaving good mate at the helm. He knows less than me but only had an issue to call me not long after foiling ribs.
    Temp. spiked a bit so got him to drop back from 120c to 107c on the dial an no further issues.
    The thermometer unit has been 5/10 max difference against the Thermoworks smoke ( great piece of gear) all day in the chamber. Probes the same, hardly any real difference to mention.
    This is shaping up as a sure winner for a pellet smoker----and I am just your average punter!
    Enough waffle, some progress picts. Enjoy cause I ammmmm. :bbq::cheers:

?

Z Grill MINI.....Aldi Gasser.......Thermoworks Smoke...., Masterbuilt portable Charcoal Grill.

Edited once, last by gourmetgalaxy (January 16, 2018 at 4:38 PM).

• I have found a good mentor too. ;) thanks Col.
    Little secret, added some grated beetroot to the brine injection!
    Always good for colour, natural.
    I am really looking forward to doing some salmon tomorrow.
    8o

• update:
    Heading towards home now I think, seems to have gone through stall. Close on 80c now and like jelly.
    In the meantime dinner was the pork ribs, and they went down a treat with all.
    The sauced ones probably went down as the favourite!...just.

• There are two stalls every time I've done pulled pork. The first at around 72c and then again around 82c.
    Patience is the key, it's time at temp you need, as much as temp alone.
    ;)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hi.
    Phew..what a marathon, after 17+ hours and some advice from ColMack pulled this baby out of the traeger at 12.15am with internal temp just pushing 88c.
    Was feeling like a bowl of jelly to touch.
    Wrapped in foil, towels and into the esky until this morning.
    Still warm at 6.30am and was just simply fall apart no claws needed.
    Very very pleased with this result.
    Enjoy the pics.

• As you have discovered, start a lot earlier than you think it will need. Resting for hours is good for it anyway so don't try any time the cook to coincide with meal time. Particularly if you are doing a meal for guests. The forums are full of disaster stories where pulled pork or brisket wasn't even close to being done and dinner was served hours late.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Butt question

Rest then pull.?

Or pull when hot?

Or doesn’t matter

Cheers

Rest then pull. The pork will benefit from a rest of at least 30-60 minutes but if time is tight you can pull it and eat as soon as you remove it from the pit. Leftovers are great heated up the next day too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!