Prep boards/serving boards

• Hi folks,

Anyone got a prep board or serving board they particularly like? My kitchen cutting boards aren't quite big enough to handle a big lump of meat, so I'm thinking I'll make myself some, once it's cool enough to spend some time in the workshop.

I am more of a woodturner than anything else, so I'm thinking I might make some big round boards, with a little groove and lip to catch any juices... But I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas I can steal!

Danny

• I was going to suggest a channel right around the edge. Me and my little router did that on the boards we bought. I've also made a couple from scratch so we've got enough to build a raft and sail the pacific.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I made up 8 serving platters out of a sheet of 15mm ply. I’ve just routed the edges and a little thumb hole and will apply the mineral oil after giving it a bit of a sand. Too soft for chopping boards though.

I’m picking up some 600 dia x 300 deep oak pieces from a mate next week. He’s getting a tree cut down as part of a building project.

The plan is to plane them flat and put a band around to help them season.

• I made up 8 serving platters out of a sheet of 15mm ply. I’ve just routed the edges and a little thumb hole and will apply the mineral oil after giving it a bit of a sand. Too soft for chopping boards though.

I’m picking up some 600 dia x 300 deep oak pieces from a mate next week. He’s getting a tree cut down as part of a building project.

The plan is to plane them flat and put a band around to help them season.

I recently saw an article about a UK restaurant being fined £30k for serving food on wooden boards as they cannot be cleaned properly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I have the same, funny angled edges. That one lives on my kitchen counter

Yep, we've got the same one.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I recently saw an article about a UK restaurant being fined £30k for serving food on wooden boards as they cannot be cleaned properly..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's the article I'm thinking of, the issue wasn't wooden boards, it was *bad* wooden boards - they were badly cracked and had all sorts of nooks and crannies that were havens for bacteria.

• I use Bamboo boards. Give it a quick wash and leave it out in the sun for the day every now & then.

Jumbuck 7 burner with hood. Baby Weber kettle. 52" Kettle. Weber Go Anywhere. 5' SS Spit rotisserie. Offset smoker. Akorn Kamado. :) ASMOKE AS500N. Hibachi.:bbq:

• Keep in mind that timber has natural anti bacterial properties, plastic does not.

• Yes, and NFS rated. and unless the guy was just full of BS, it is supposed to be easier on my blades, and since it is softer I can buff out the slight groves and it is much less likely to hold the bacteria like wood that has a small crack or chip that cant be seen!

Bentley, is that made of HDPE, or something else? Looks good!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• So had this morning free after putting some pork and beef ribs into the smoker, this is what I have so far:

Nice big bit of jacaranda - I haven't measured but I'm guessing it's about 450mm diameter, maybe about 35mm high.

It's a cutting board on one side, with a slight peak in the middle that runs down to a channel around the outside. In theory it's a shallow serving dish on the other side, but I just now realised that I didn't check if the centre peak is lower than the rim on the cutting board side (doh!), so it may not be stable as a dish.

Time will tell if it has fallen victim to the blue stain that jacaranda gets. Hopefully not or it'll be a wasted few hours!

Cheers,

Danny

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!