First attempt at brisket

• Hi guys.

We'll I've got two slabs of beef ribs and a bunch of smoked nuts under my belt, so when the butcher advertised that he was selling brisket at a special price for the weekend, I decided the time was right.

The brisket is 2.5 kilos, mostly flat but with a bit of thickness at the point end. I've rubbed it with salt and pepper and it's currently in the fridge. I'll be firing the smoker up tomorrow morning with heatbeads and Hickory chunks, and hopefully the brisket will be ready for dinner. Hopefully it's done within 8 hours to allow some resting time.

Will update as we go, but any tips before I kick off are appreciated.

• Good luck mate. I love a brisket cook, most enjoyable but most nervous!!

My recent effort included a mega loooooong stall (at around 170) so that's what to watch for.

Once it stalls, Wrap it in butchers paper instead of foil - much better result

Timing is always a guessing game so hard to say

Enjoy, crack a few beers along the way.

Kamado Joe Classic II - Hark Gas Smoker - Coolabah 6 Burner - Beefeater Bugg

• Big o, the picture you have in your initial post seems to be a link to some other site and couldn't be seen by other members. I've uploaded it and inserted it in to your post now. You need to do that for future posts using the attachments tab.

That's a decent looking brisket. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Thanks Gumb. Not sure why. I'll have another crack with this picture of things at the 5 hour mark.
    It started raining just after it got to temp, but kicked along pretty nicely.
    Just trying to get the temp down a bit now as it has jumped up to 270.

• 'll have another crack with this picture of things at the 5 hour mark.

All good now, that one worked fine. :thumbup:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Be interesting to see how it goes, but normally one that small I would braise.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• It turned out great. Let it rest for an hour and a half before serving.

First impressions, very much tasted like corned silverside, particularly because The rub was way too salty. Very juicy, and tender but noticed it dried out quickly after serving. I'm surprised that the fat didn't render down so much, but it tastes pretty good.

Went well with caramelized onions on top.

Edited once, last by Big_o (February 25, 2018 at 6:20 PM).

• Looks good, did you take an internal temp?

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• Yeah, that’s what I aim for and always turns out great, never had it taste corned though. I’ve only cooked the full brisket, don’t know if that makes a difference but someone here will.

weber performer, weber compact with gas conversion, napoleon rodeo, pro q 20", PBC, ziggy portable, ozpig with rotisserie, pro smoke offset, pit boss mini kamado, asmoke portable, master built 560.

• I prefer slow cooked meat the next day, like pulled pork for example, which also goes great on sangers like the brisket does.

• Have you tried "Dry Brining"? That's when you salt the meat well before the cook. I salt all my meats at least 24 hours before, sometimes 48... Amazing Ribs is an excellent go to website. Looks good, as other have said, small briskets can dry out. The best thing about your 1st attempt, is now you can get onto your 2nd. Also, try chuck, it is way more forgiving than brisket...

Ziggy Twin Burner - GMG Daniel Boone - Hibachi

• Thanks for the feedback and advice guys. Ray, I haven't heard of dry brining, but it sounds like what I did. As salty as it was last night, it was delicious today on sandwiches and tonight with some bbq sauce.

After 2 lots of beef ribs and a brisket, I'm taking a break from beef for a bit and doing pulled pork this weekend for a small gathering.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!