Reverse searing on a kettle

• Hey all,

What temperatures do you aim for when are in the first stage of getting the meat up to temp? Conversely, what temperatures do you aim for when you want to sear?

The issue that I am running into is that if try to start low (250f to 300f-ish), I don't feel that the "searing" side will be hot enough with the limited amount of charcoal/briquettes that have been put into the kettle to start off with in order to get that initial low temp. Is this a matter of lighting a second batch in the chimney for the sear (bummer for the inconvenience)?

• For a reverse sear you need to be able to change temp quickly. You could cook have the heat beads at one end, have the steaks at the other an shielded from the heat, then, when you are ready to sear, put them directly over the charcoal. It's tricky and you might not get it right the first time but persevere.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hey Gumb,

I have the kettle set up for 2-zone, but was curious as to the temperatures that you are shooting for in the two stages of reverse searing, and how much fuel to put in at the start.

For example, if I lit 20 heat beads in a chimney and stacked them on one side, i would get good low temps for the first stage but would not be enough heat for the sear even if I was directly above the coals.

How much fuel do you put in at the start of the cook? 1/2 a chimney worth? I don't feel like the Weber OTG would allow me to throttle temperature back far enough if I stuck a full chimney in there at the start..

• Start with a low temp fire and the steaks in a tray half full of oil, you can herb or garlic that up if you want. When the steaks are 35C ish remove the tray, the oil will keep the steaks warm. Throw some lump charcoal onto the fire and do a dance with the wifes hair-dryer....in no time flat the charcoal will be roaring and you'll be good to go! :)

Chris

• Yep, what they said. I've even seared a steak on top of the charcoal chimney. ^^

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• If you have some grill grates try this and using the weber charcoal baskets.

Fill the charcoal chimney up with heat beads and get them well lit.

Put one of your baskets down one end of the kettle.

Fill one of the baskets up with charcoal.

At the other end turn your grill grates upside down so the flat side is up, make sure the grill grates do not cover the charcoal basket, and put your steak on and put the lid on. The flat side ensure you get an even cook. I am assuming you are cooking a decent thick steak. Flipping the steak is optional and depends how you like to cook steak. Some people like to flip once, others flip regularly. Cook to rare/blue @45C. Test using an instant read thermometer. If you want to slow the cooking process try putting a half moon deflector like used in the Kamado Joe, or a half split broken pizza stone under the grill grate.

Put a grill grate with flange side up over the charcoal basket and let it heat up. Grill grates amplify the temp. If you want a real hot sear put in the second charcoal basket and fill it up with well lit beads before you put the grill grate on. Being made of aluminium the grill grates heat up quick.

In this step what you are doing is putting on a taste crust and the cross hatch pattern. Experiment with the lid on or off for this bit to vary the reflected temp on the meat. Move steak over to the grill grate that is over the charcoal baskets and create the cross hatch sear, ie first side, then rotate 90 degrees, flip the steak, then turn 90 degrees. How long you do this step will result in a steak that is medium rare to well done.

Edited 4 times, last by 12x7 (November 12, 2015 at 8:55 AM).

• Have a look at the Grill Grate thread on the forum.

Grill Grates

You can buy them in Australia from Smoke Kings BBQ.

There's quite a range to suit the kettle, kamado, gasser etc.

Because they slide together and they come in different lengths and shapes you can make different configurations.

• I have the 18" Kamado set and they work on all of my Cues, 3 pieces which clip together makes them very versatile. You can even start a Chicken direct on the extender grill then slide them underneath on the main grill as a deflector which sizzles the dripping juices :) (Gumbs Idea) works great!

• looks like they are $50 and are about 46cmx13cm is one enough for my 20in ProQ or is it better to buy 2

Just measure the grill area and go from there.

• If they are slightly too long, just cut them down.

• I like a gap around the outside edge to let the heat from below come through to the dome.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!