• nearly there......foil and esky time is looming.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Looks like the Qmaster is trying to hold it at 190F internal, Don't have time right now to write a new program so that's fine. I'll check in another hour or so and work out what to do. I've never calibrated the probes so it reads a touch higher than the Mav.
    I can live with that.

• Wow.....ok....another question guys. So wrapping it and putting it in an esky (presume a small esky) is so it has a slow rest? Could i achieve something similar in an oven? ? Maybe have the oven on very low. ..like 50C.....?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

• do you source your pork neck from Costo too or from the butcher?

Me?
    No I live in WA, My local butcher Buckingham Meats, is very helpful, he's always been willing to listen and let me try explain the cuts I'm after. We don't always get it right but we are both learning.
    He's never sold me dog food. So I don't mind driving 30mins to go see him.

• Wow.....ok....another question guys. So wrapping it and putting it in an esky (presume a small esky) is so it has a slow rest? Could i achieve something similar in an oven? ? Maybe have the oven on very low. ..like 50C.....?

Yeah mate, the Mods here taught me all this, Gumb, Urban Griller etc, the rest does them good and it's a nightmare trying to time a pulled cook... I've had hungry people waiting before, not a good look :D Wrap in foil and stuff an esky full of towels, will hold for 4 hours and lose maybe 5-10 degrees.

• Ah ok.....thanks Muppet....haha....i did one once, promised a 1800-1900 feast........come 2330, misses went to sleep. .... other girlfriends went to sleep. ....all the men stayed up.....more for us. ..
    So lessons learnt there.
    That's a great trick with the esky. .....I'll for sure use that next time the cook comes in early

• 2pm update. That's it folks she is all done. The trusty Mav was reading 197F but it's all about the probe. From 190F I took a skewer and test probed in a few places, the large shoulder was starting to let go in places but it wasn't there yet. 195F same thing took my skewer and probed around, better but there was still a problem patch in the middle. So 30mins later another try, Beautiful, little to no resistance like probing warm butter, gave the bone a wiggle... Yep wanted to slide straight out.

Transferred to a board then off to park in my $10 meat esky. Here is a slide for the visual guys.

• Ok, All in all this ended up as a 15hr cook, what makes it simple is having access to a Kamado. Yes I made it easier by using the Qmaster stoker but in reality, out of 20+ overnighters I've only had problems with temp control 3 or 4 times.
    I've tried to explain some basics as well as I can hoping that mabey someone finds the information useful.
    This wasn't an exercise in showing my own BBQ skills, which are still fresh and evolving every cook but as many here threads like this are how I have been picking up my BBQ knowledge, as well as the helpful members of these very forums.
    Have a question? Ask away there is no silly ones. If I don't know I will be able to reccomend someone who will.
    Alright guys, keep it fun and enjoy the journey... I sure do! :D

Edited once, last by Geoffo (November 12, 2015 at 5:29 PM).

• Mate, don't leave us hanging ....It looks sensational, can we see it pulled. :)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I'll unwrap her at 5pm after a 3hr hold. We usually eat at 6pm so this will give me time to get dinner together.
    Easy stuff tonight, ole El Paso seasoning for the kids favorite tacos. Frustrates me because I would like to do a bit more, but that's what they like and that's why I do this.
    In all honesty it comes out great with the simple seasoning.

• I don't have to worry about the spice factor for kids (don't have any) but my girlfriend was not a fan of spice when we first got together. I've brought her over to the darkside though, she now loves spicy food. Was shocked a couple of months ago when she asked if we could throw some chili on a pizza.

She's not quite at the insane level yet, I made some spicy Korean chicken a few weeks back and it was too much for her... but she's getting there.

I'd imagine I'd train kids up in the same way :D

• my whole life was never a fan of chili, but since I married my Asian wife, and she gave me bit by bit I Really like a chili hit now, she makes chili oil which kicks like a mule but is really nice in Pho Vietnamese beef or chicken soup

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!