• My Chucky challenge:

36 hour sous vide chuck steak, seared seriously hot, with a smoked mushroom sauce. (not sure why, but image is really cropped posting here, if you click on it you get the whole image)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• My Chucky challenge:

36 hour sous vide chuck steak, seared seriously hot, with a smoked mushroom sauce. (not sure why, but image is really cropped posting here, if you click on it you get the whole image)

Hey Wazza, great take on the Chuck mate. What temp did you sous vide at and what was the texture of the chucky like after searing?
    Like the look of the Sous Vide machine you have there too, any chance of doing a review on it?

Cheers, Wayne

• Like the look of the Sous Vide machine you have there too, any chance of doing a review on it?

Cheers, Wayne

Did it at 57 degrees. Was worried it was a touch high, but there was a big chunk of fat through it so wanted to render it out. Turns out I shouldn't have been worried.

As for the texture, somewhere between one of the finest scotch fillets and fillet. Was so good. This I think is going to become a regular. I'll bring one to the next speakeasy and you can try it for yourself.

Thanks to the inspiration I got from Grant from GV, somked mushroom sauce was a winner too. I use evaporated milk instead of cream and it took on the smoke quite quickly.

I'll post up a review of the SV machine a bit later today.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I like the look of those Anova's. Shame about the Aussie dollar at the moment though. Think they end up costing around $300 shipped, although that's still a lot better than the alternatives on the market at the moment!

There was a kickstarter campaign for a start up, called Nomiku or something like that. I originally signed up for theirs, but it was delayed a few times and the Anova came out, so I jumped ship. I'll see if I still have the info on the others I looked at, and if I do will include it in the review.

And yeah, I got mine when the Aus doller was really high.

• I like the look of those Anova's. Shame about the Aussie dollar at the moment though. Think they end up costing around $300 shipped, although that's still a lot better than the alternatives on the market at the moment!

Hi

Where do you buy them. Can you only get them online?

Also, can anyone recommend a half decent vacuum machine. Are the cheap Sunbeam machines good enough, or is there something else I should be looking at. If so, where do I get them from.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• on line only Grant.

I was about to get Kogan one, anyone know anything about them?

• Also, can anyone recommend a half decent vacuum machine. Are the cheap Sunbeam machines good enough, or is there something else I should be looking at. If so, where do I get them from

Hi Grant,
    http://foodvacuumsealers.com.au/unika-by-munro/
    I have one of these, works real well, much better than the cheap Lumina unit I got from Aldi which didn't last.
    Made in Italy as well, not China.
    Stewart

Royal Kamado, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Baby Q, Weber OTP,Weber Jumbo Joe, Dragon Hibachi, Auspit, Multikai + a couple of portables.

• meet chuck or chuck meat

after nine hours

cubed up with shallots, garlic, mushrooms, potatoe, red wine and Guinness
    back in for 3 hours

served up with homemade rolls and suet dumplings

Red weber kettle, Akorn, Cyprus spit, Triple Ziggy, Silver Creek Iron Age offset.

• Here's ours....

Picked up a nice piece of Chuck and gave it a trim. Then hit it with an injection of Kalbi Marinade. Overnight in the fridge before whacking it in the Hark.
    Gave it a couple of hours of Hickory smoke and foiled it up after 4 hours with some more Kalbi marinade and a drop of water.

Cheers, Wayne and Jan

Injected and into the fridge over night

After an overnighter in the fridge it's looking like this.

Next day it's crank up the smoker and pop it in for 7 hours with a bit of hickory.

Time to pull her out.

And pull it apart

We put some of the pulled meat onto lettuce leaves with a few cherry tomatoes and some more Kalbi sauce.

• Mate did one yeasty,

3 hrs low, then added Chilly,and dark ale for another 3 hours with top on the lodge cast iron pot

Turned out fantastic , drained, then put half a bottle of BBQ sauce re heated thru , then added pre made Wicked Beans with Jalapeño

Sensational

• mate is that an Anova device?

Yes, one of the originals. They are clearing out these ones now at a discount, last chance ever to get one. The new ones all have wifi and bluetooth, but for sous vide I can't work out why. You set your temp, put the meat in and walk away for 8-36 hours, seems like an added complication to me.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!