• Still getting the feel for the Boonie when I done the pork scotch (pulled pork) the other day it came out great but didn't get much smoke into it at all, when I put the pork on I just set the temp at 220f and walked away, so I had a read through the destruction book and it said if smoking to run it at a lower temperature about 100f for a hour first, anyway I had some bacon curing in the fridge that was ready to smoke today so I put it in Boonie at 100f for a hour then increased the temp to 200f Iv only had a small sample but seem to have come out pretty good

• Hiya Booga, for a first go that's looking pretty good mate. You'll have to take a bit back to the ship and test it on Coota. What sort of cure are you using?

Flying in on Thursday, how much longer do you have home?

Cheers, Wayne

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• You have some great colour in your bacon!
    Was this a store bought cure or did you mix it yourself Booga?

I still have a little stockpiled from winter but can see me making more with just a hot smoke.

Iv just been researching online for a while finding different cures and different ways of curing And trying a different one each time most of the ones iv done have been a brine but this one was more of a dry cure, firstly meat is rubbed with honey then coated with the cure mix salt sugar pepper and pink curing salt Then into a lock seal bag for a week

• Hiya Booga, for a first go that's looking pretty good mate. You'll have to take a bit back to the ship and test it on Coota. What sort of cure are you using?

Flying in on Thursday, how much longer do you have home?

Cheers, Wayne

hey Smithy yeah first one on the GMG came out ok, the one I done last time I was home was a wet cure Espresso maple bacon which I smoked in the Webber with chunks of Apple wood came out great a touch salty but great smoke flavour,
    The job we are on has finished Coota is just doing the rig tow now then running the vessel up to Singapore iv only been home a week but not sure what's coming up or where there sending me next

• I usually cold smoke for a couple hours with the tube, then whack it on the DB to bring up to temp. Try it both ways and see what you think - if you like a fairly smoky bacon, it seems to get good results so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weber Kettle, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Performer Gold, Yoder YS640, Weber Family Q, Weber Q2200, building an offset as soon I get out of BBQ rehab :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!