Texas Pro. First offset first cook.

• Well here's a newbie to offsets thoughts on the texas pro and my first cook on it. Here it is in the box, 2 guys can lift it.

No photos of the assembly but heres how it goes together

The instructions are good and it goes together well. I did have a bit of a problem attaching the firebox as a couple of the pre welded nuts were slightly out of line and I had enlarge the holes in the smoker body to get it together. Here it is ready for action.

I did a small fire to season and then another to play with heat/fuel management.I can see this isnt gonna be easy as my heat test was way to hot. The firebox is big but you dont need a big fire. I like the idea of the ash tray and can see why they went this way but I think it leaks a bit of air and makes fire management a little bit harder. The fire in the pic below is to hot for 225f

This fire below is good thin smoke and holding at 225f a little charcoal every now and then helped maintain a steady temp but I was checking and making adjustments about every 1/2 hr. You don't leave these to do their own thing like a kamado.

Ok time to cook. This is a 7 kilo pork belly, skin on bone in and brined overnight in game changer. A light oil rub and a water pan. The cooking area is huge in this pit, I could fit 3 of these in and still have room for a few chooks.

After 5 hrs probed an average of 160f. For most of the cook there was only about 5 deg difference between the 2 thermos.

I am going for a bit of a steam on this so wraped in Franklins paper, added some cloudy apple juice and then foiled.

Back in for about another 5 hrs. Now its foiled no smoke was needed so I went for a mainly charcoal fire, this was a lot easier to manage temp than the timber.

Was about 195f on the pen when it came off. Nothing to fancy on the carving we all just ripped in

It was very moist and tender, mild smoke flavor and everyone was impressed. I think a little longer in the brine would have been better but I'm very happy with the result and am sure with practice I will turn out some amazing food on this pit. Looking forward to some advice from the pro's.

• Forget Leaks in an Offset. You manage the heat by the size of the fire....not the air, in fact you want all the air you can get! Super hot small fire and small bits of wood that catch fast and convert to coal quickly, lots of clean air going through.

• Thanks Chris, I forgot to mention I was using well seasoned iron bark it burns very hot.. I can see how smaller bits will work a lot better. i would be interested on your thoughts on the baffle plates placement. At the moment i have the big one with holes in first position near the fire box and the rest spaced evenly large ones first then the smaller ones at the chimney end.

• Thanks Chris, I forgot to mention I was using well seasoned iron bark it burns very hot.. I can see how smaller bits will work a lot better. i would be interested on your thoughts on the baffle plates placement. At the moment i have the big one with holes in first position near the fire box and the rest spaced evenly large ones first then the smaller ones at the chimney end.

The big one with the 4 holes is the Firebox end, it sits on an angle, there are lugs to hold it in place, the rest move to make hot/cold zones or even heat as you like.

BBQ School today....I'll post a pic of by standard spacing on Monday.

Click this link, to download the user guide I wrote for the Tri Fire (I'm doing one for the Pro Pit over the coming weeks between BBQ School!). The fire management discussions will work for any offset.

Tri Fire User Guide

• The big one with the 4 holes is the Firebox end, it sits on an angle, there are lugs to hold it in place, the rest move to make hot/cold zones or even heat as you like.

This is good to know. I wondered why the largest baffle with the 4 holes didn't fit flat and why they had added lugs. I assumed that the baffle may have been originally designed to fit some sort of rotisserie mount, perhaps in a different unit. I currently have the second largest baffle closest to the firebox sitting flat and the the one with holes placed next.

--------------------------------------------
    Hark Texas Pro-Pit - Webber Baby Q

• The big one with the 4 holes is the Firebox end, it sits on an angle, there are lugs to hold it in place, the rest move to make hot/cold zones or even heat as you like.

This is good to know. I wondered why the largest baffle with the 4 holes didn't fit flat and why they had added lugs. I assumed that the baffle may have been originally designed to fit some sort of rotisserie mount, perhaps in a different unit. I currently have the second largest baffle closest to the firebox sitting flat and the the one with holes placed next.

I think the 4 holes are for a rotisserie mount, perhaps in a future model.

Here is my standard setup:
    From the firebox: Baffle, 1cm gap, Small plate, 1.5cm gap, Large plate, 3cm gap, Large Plate, 5cm gap, Small Plate.

• Nice write up Hoddo and thanks for pointing me to the forum.

Starting to think the Pro Pit might be worth it over the Tri Fire.

I dont need the space really but do like the extra features...

Decisions, decisions.

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

• Hey guys. First time poster. Got pointed here from the ABA facebook page.

I've just splashed out on one of these pits too. First offset, so a bit of a step up from the old snake method in the weber.

Have got some good tips from this thread. Just wondering on people's thoughts on the firebox door.

I've been reading Franklins book, and trying to follow his methods as closely as possible. Similarly to what has been said in this thread, he talks about a small, clean burning fire, and not trying to starve it of air to bring temps down.

He talks about leaving the firebox door right open, but he is obviously talking about pits that have a door on the end, not a top that opens like ours.

Where are you guys normally leaving the firebox lid? I'm usually leaving it on the first notch open, but opening it right up to let heat out if my temp spikes too high. My fire management skills are going to need quite a bit of work!!

Any thoughts on this, and/or any other tips appreciated!

Thanks.

• Any thoughts on this, and/or any other tips appreciated!

I've never seen this pit in real life, so please take what I say with a grain of salt, but I'd be leaving the vent open on the side of the firebox and the door on the first notch like you said. If it's getting too hot perhaps cut back on the side of the wood being added?

• Hi Bob.

Use the firebox Lid up a notch or two when you startup to get the fire up and running fast while letting most of the heat preheat the cooking chamber, that must be hot before your fire will draw properly.

Once the fire is established go lid down and vent open, if you need extra air you can crack the ash-pan open and let air in directly under the fire!

Yes, a Small RED HOT fire, I start with Charcoal, then Robot Turds, then Split timber 50-75mm across, you want it to catch fire quickly and not smoulder. You'll be surprised how little fire you need!.

Startup:

Now the fire settles in and I'm starting to cook.

and this is what I need to keep it going:

Regards
    Chris

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!