Wine fridge - curing fridge.

• Yep gumtree. $80. She's fairly old, Nonna that I bought it off also gave me a big bag of figs:)
    It's an old kelvinator so should run well.

I have a cheapish humidity and temperature controller that the fridge and humidifier will be wired into.
    So it'll basically be set and forgot :)
    Also will wire up a PC type fan, probably linked in the with fridge thermostat or humidifier so when they switch on, the fan goes for a bit of a spin.

I'm stoked with the glass door, it's what I was looking for so I can perv on it without opening it up. Might even wore up a light in there.
    I'll have something laying around the warehouse I can hook up.

The next think is can I cut some holes in the side for fan/cables.
    It seems to just have the cooling section exposed internally at the top.
    Should I put the fan towards the bottom?

Nath

• Hey Mad Docker - Ive got a specific wooden box i made for that :) (my girlfriend is SA)

It was actually sitting in that exact location the fridge is now. Got put on the back of the Ute and to the warehouse to make room for the fridge!
    Good thinking though, I guess i could just run the fan and hang the biltong. MMM biltongg

• Righto gents, I have a question. Should I install a fan internally, just to circulate the air inside the fridge around, or cut a hole in the side and install fan that way. At first I had envisaged to cut a hole in side and install a pc type fan. Thinking about it now that's a stupid idea as it's just going to suck in hot air from outside?
    Talking out aloud here:)

Nath

• If you just need air circulation, would seem to me any device that will accomplish that will do...if you need to get outside air in and do that, not sure.

Over here Its called a 2 inch lip on rib roast...When cut, Rib-eye steaks...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Righto gents, I have a question. Should I install a fan internally, just to circulate the air inside the fridge around, or cut a hole in the side and install fan that way. At first I had envisaged to cut a hole in side and install a pc type fan. Thinking about it now that's a stupid idea as it's just going to suck in hot air from outside?
    Talking out aloud here:)

Nath

I'd just mount the fan on the inside so the air in the fridge moves, outside air fill mess with the fridge.

• Outside air Intake is for cured meats like your parma ham. But is only useful when outside ambiance is ideal, IE Winter and 50% RH and your parma has already gone through its initial higher RH steps.

Its not totally necessary and roaches love cure cabinets. I didnt bother using ambient air.
    If you put a light in there, Put an UV led on a timer. UV is used to kill some bacteria. Also use a decent size PC fan or even a small desk fan :)

• Well. A couple of boxes of goodies rocked up today. Humidity controller, temp controller and humidifier.
    A couple of small holes and it's all wired up and running sweet.

Just waiting for the temp to drop and stabilise after opening the door repeatedly.
    I picked up a small metal desk fan with is plugged inline with the humidifier, so it flicks on when the humidifier comes on, which at this stage is about every minute for 10 seconds or so.
    Maybe cycling a bit too often? The sensor on the humidity controller is very sensitive.

I have a separate to humidity and temp gauge. Which is no where near as sensitive and is staying pretty even.

No for a bit of meat to sit in there and test it out!
    Might opt for something that's not going to break bank just incase it all turns to poo.

Nath

• Ow, and do I hang or sit the slab on one of the racks? They need a good clean as they're a bit corroded. I like the idea of hanging meat, I've got plenty of butchers hooks, just not sure if it will eventually tear itself

Nath

Edited once, last by Nath (December 8, 2015 at 12:27 AM).

• Testing it out at 75%. The temp doesn't want to come below 5c with the humidity up that high though. Hmm gonna have to do some tweaking I think.
    I think I'll focus on keeping the temp down on this one first, and just run with the humidity where it will sit comfortably when I have 2c

Nath

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!