Should I buy a Weber Kettle?

• The Weber Kettle is a popular start for many BBQer's who long for the charcoal flavour from when man first dragged himself out of the primeval SMOKE and first cooked FOOD on FIRE and discovered BBQ.

The Weber Kettle is an icon in BBQ history in Australia and in its birthplace in the US.

When you buy a Weber you still get good honest quality and customer service which is just like they used to deliver back in the good old days.There are not many products and brands which have such a strong heritage and still deliver to that promise.

Why is this important when you want to buy a BBQ? When people talk about how good a Weber is, there are very good reasons.

"In 1952 George Stephen Sr. was working at Weber Brothers Metal Works in Chicago, Illinois, manufacturing marine buoys when he came up with an idea for a better grill. His invention: a dome-shaped grill with a lid to protect food from the elements, while sealing in that only-from-the-grill barbecue flavor.

George Stephen cut a buoy in half, added some air vents and legs and, in the process, invented the grill that would spark a backyard revolution." ref: weber.com

"Introduced and distributed in Australia by Ross McDonald in 1978, Weber has established a strong foothold in the Australian BBQ market and for good reason. Positive word-of-mouth was established very early on with Ross McDonald himself, taking the Weber Kettle to new customers’ home, building the Weber Kettle and showing them how to cook with the product and putting that famous Weber flavour into peoples’ mouths.

By showing customers how the product was used he showcased the best aspect of the Weber barbecue – how well it cooks. Ross was able to show how to use and how to experience success with the Kettle product every time. Even today this first impression is not lost; Weber Australia includes a copy of “The Complete Australian Barbecue Kettle Cookbook” with every single Weber Kettle sold." ref http://www.thebbqshop.com.au
    So if you wondered why this book is sold with every Australian Weber, now you know why. This is a great reference book for cooking with charcoal the Australian way.

1978 - The Weber Kettle is distributed in Australia
    Fifty years of history

How much should I pay for a Weber Kettle?

1) Nothing! - You will be surprised how many people have found Weber Kettles on the kerb during council clean-ups and after a clean they are good as new.
    2) $1-$100 - ebay and Gum tree are great places to pick up a second hand Kettle cheap.
    3) List price - NEVER! haggle! A new Kettle can start from a few hundred dollars upwards

What can I cook?
    This is one flexible cooker.

If you have a second hand Kettle buy a second hand copy of The Complete Australian Barbecue Kettle Cookbook for as low as $15 on ebay.

The BBQ Pit Boys are big fans of the Kettle. Have a look at their site and the wide range of foods they cook. http://bbqpitboys.com/

Don't forget to goto the recipe and charcoal sections in this forum for some great examples of food cooked on the Kettle.

What sort of fuel does it use?
    Heat Beads are very popular. http://www.heatbeads.com.au/. In Australia Weber Kettle and Heat Beads are a famous combo. The best buy is the 16KG box (4 x 4kg bags) from Bunnings for around $20. Don't buy the bags from the supermarket who will charge you $10 for a 4KG bag. People like using heat beads as they are consistent in the way they burn.

People also like to use lump charcoal. There are many types which add a distinctive flavour to the food.

How do I start a Weber?

Weber has a very good web site. Go to mastering the basic 2. Charcoal http://www.weber.com/weber-nation/g…astering-basics

For a slow cook the Aussie way is called the snake.

Have a look at these Beef ribs!

Beef ribs on the Weber

Here's a great tutorial from Urban Griller about how to low and slow on the Weber.

Using a kettle to cook Low and Slow

So get yourself a Weber Kettle today. Many people have started with a Weber to learn the finer points of charcoal cooking before adding to their BBQ collection such as Kamado, Pellet, Smoker etc.

Very few people regret getting a Weber Kettle and many have fond memories of cooking up great meals, having their friends compliment on the great flavour, taste and good times.

Haven't bought one yet????

Watch this. The Weber Kettle signature dish is roast pork and the great crackling.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Edited 19 times, last by 12x7 (May 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM).

• It's what got me started and there's still a trusty Weber kettle on the deck with all the other toys. Nothing does pork crackle like a kettle.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I remember as a kid back in the 80's, my Grandfather had one and a couple of times a year he would do a roast chook. To this day I can still remember how the skin crisped up and completely sealed in the juices, and when the meat was carved those juices would be released and the chicken would sit in them and soak them up. We unfortunately never had one and only had a typical 80's flat plate bbq, but those couple of times a year... made quite the impression on this young lad.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I got mine from my uncle who was a clean freak. So every time he used the Weber, he'd clean it and put it back in a bag. He got sick of it and said they weren't worth the effort so I got it for free. That must be 30 years ago. :)

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Great write up 12x7! The Weber Kettle must surely be the most well known and loved charcoal bbq in Australia and as you've detailed, for many very good reasons. The Weber Kettle was my first charcoal BBQ and it hooked me into this hobby for good.

• That's where I started with a Webber Kettle it was treated really badly left outside and rusted up but got a refresh and then got stolen after I left it on the front driveway after a boxing night street party. Figured either the neighbors were playing funny burgers but after not coming back I thought it must have been good or bad food and was taken for ransom. Still didn't come back so stolen by someone who wanted it more than me was all I could come up with.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Hi

As you can see from my little photo on the side here, I cook in everything weber. The kettle goes every weekend, the MAGNUM (basically a kettle bottom and top separated by a food grade 44 gallon drum with three levels) only gets lit when I want to cook a brisket, pork shoulder and chickens all at once, and the Q when there is the need for food fast. The kettle is set up to smoke, so only really gets used for low, slow; or cold smoking cheese, cream etc.

One day I must get something non Weber, but this does me for all my cooking at the moment.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• If you have never had a Weber kettle then you have so much amazing BBQ to explore. Without a doubt the most versatile, cost effective, simple BBQ ever invented. I found my first one on the side of the road and still use it....

Instagram: @urban_pit_master
    Twitter: @mackerelmatt
    Big city food, cooked in the backyard. You can taste love in food...

• If you have never had a Weber kettle then you have so much amazing BBQ to explore. Without a doubt the most versatile, cost effective, simple BBQ ever invented. I found my first one on the side of the road and still use it....

That's where I got mine a second handy just wished I had known about the snake sooner

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• I bought a one touch gold a few years ago. It has retired my oven! Chicken roast, lamb, direct grilling, slow cooking it can do it all at a good price. Have given it a lot of work and it still is going strong. I am soon going to get a kamado but I look fondly at this weber. Will always keep it. Just do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!