Mastering Pizza in Kamado Style BBQ

• My current arrangement for cooking pizza on the (Large) Big Green Egg is the heat deflect / plate setter down low and pizza stone on the grill. All this works well but it’s difficult to guarantee that the top of the pizza is cooked at the same rate as the bottom of the pizza. So I’m thinking of adding some firebricks on which the pizza stone would rest – effectively getting the pizza closer to the lid so that the radiant heat cooks the pizza toppings. I’ve found a local supplier that sells 300 x 300 x 50 mm firebricks for pizza ovens and am thinking that a stack of 2 or 3 will do the job. The main concern is that the at this size the bricks might cut off the air supply. Has anyone tried such a method? And what alternative methods have people used to master pizza (with toppings) in a Komado style cooker?

• I wouldn't put them in there, it just adds more mass to soak up heat and it will take longer to get up to temp and stay there. Cooking higher up in the dome is a good idea and I use the grill extender for that. If you don't have one, you can buy them from Smoke King BBQs here.... KAMADO DOUBLE GRILL

I tried lots of different methods and the art is definitely to try and get the top done without burning the base. In the end I used metal pizza trays with the holes in them. I had no deflector, a pizza stone on the grill level with the opening, then the tray with the pizza on the extender grill above that. The kamado was at 250c. I cooked the top for around 15 minutes and if it needed a bit more on the base, I'd just slide it off the tray and give it a few seconds on the bare stone. It seemed to work OK but play around with it and you'll find the sweet spot.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I put my deflector on-top of the grill riser and the pizza stone on top of that...so the stone is just above grill height. With a plate setter, I'd have it the other way up, so it is in the high position then the stone on top of that, you are trying to get the stone just above the lip.

I run the Kamado at 240-260C, pizza taker 6-8 min!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!