Cast iron skillet and Cast Iron Camp Oven

• I have some questions on seasoning my cast iron skillet, I have done what the U tube vids have shown to do, rubbed with both olive oil first two times, then third fourth and fifth times
    Rubbed with flaxseed oil, and baked in oven as hot as it will go for 50 min, then left to cool, I seem to have a good finish but no where as non stick as the U Tube vids suggest I can get,
    The only thing I can think off is it just takes a very very long time to get one Right any comments welcome
    I all so have a camp oven I like to use in the ProQ to cook potatoes veg , But it has legs and they are a bugger, getting jammed in the cooking grates, Can I take to them with an angle grinder and chop them off
    without damaging the camp oven? and is it just a matter of re seasoning the bits I have cut off?? ?(?(
    Camp oven pic to come latter in the ProQ as we speak

The lid gives you an idea how the legs look on the bottom

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

Edited once, last by steinyboys (December 1, 2015 at 12:27 PM).

• That seasoning looks OK to me...start cooking, the non-stick will get better the more you use it.

You can cut the feet off and re-season those bits, no problem. But why not just have a couple of bits of steel or washers to sit the feet on and stop them getting stick?

Chris

• Nothing's as non stick as adverts suggest, I've got a couple of these pans and an oven the more you use them the better they get, I can't see any problems lopping off the legs it's only cast just season it with something.

Red weber kettle, Akorn, Cyprus spit, Triple Ziggy, Silver Creek Iron Age offset.

• Years ago I got myself a cast iron griddle pan. Couldn't get it to take seasoning to become non stick, tried all sorts of things. Was about to chuck it as it didn't cost much, but tried one more time and used spray oil.

Well it worked, was non stick after that. Don't ask me why, perhaps it was coincidence and that one more use just happened to get the oil in.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Years ago I got myself a cast iron griddle pan. Couldn't get it to take seasoning to become non stick, tried all sorts of things. Was about to chuck it as it didn't cost much, but tried one more time and used spray oil.

Well it worked, was non stick after that. Don't ask me why, perhaps it was coincidence and that one more use just happened to get the oil in.

Could have been the angle you held the can? Did you have your tongue in or poking out? What about the colour of your Jocks?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!