So who got some $11.50 ducks and what have you done so far

• So who cashed in on the $11.50 ducks and what have you done.

I'm more interested in the ones that have not been posted up, and you'll still need your own thread so tags will work in the future. For one's you want to post, please give it it's own thread, but for the non bbq ones you don't want to post, you could give a quick description of what you did here.

I got 6, two down.

My Birthday duck with duck jus, which is posted. Coated with garlic salt and done over charcoal. Man the duck fat and charcoal - how do you spell flare up.

Other was roast duck two nights ago - not bbq so not posted up. I've never seen the kids eat so fast, but the good news is I now have a container of duck fat in the fridge.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Picked up 3 all still in the freezer. ;(

Hope to get one going soon.

Btw guys, when we were kicking around the forum idea we deliberately didn't put BBQ into the name so feel free to post up non BBQ cooks if you'd like to.

I'm sure that between sideburners and woodfired ovens etc. someone may be inspired to adapt it to outdoor cooking.

Cheers,Wayne

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• I grabbed two but have been flat out lately so they are both still sitting in the freezer.

Plan on cooking at least one of them up next week... just deciding what to do with it first... Never cooked duck before but eaten plenty of crispy skin duck pancakes :yum)

Thinking of smoking one whole and the other I might cut up and have duck breast one night, legs then next and then use the frame for some duck stock... Already thinking I should have grabbed a couple more while they were cheap

• Never cooked duck before

Thinking of smoking one whole and the other I might cut up and have duck breast one night, legs then next and then use the frame for some duck stock... Already thinking I should have grabbed a couple more while they were cheap

Duck stock, had not considered that. Any plans for it or are you just going to see what happens.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I think I see a new comp coming on to replace the Chucky one. The SFaF Ducky Challenge. .....Wayne ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I've had my Chinese brined duck hanging all day and it's honestly surprised me. I'm not sure if the trapped cavity brine or the evaporation factor is the main cause but the thing is still ice cold after 9hrs hanging. Who would have guessed after 9hrs the surface temp is 50F

• I used some to make a duck jus, but plenty of options, and you can always freeze it till you need it.

• I grabbed 3 and all 3 are still in the freezer. Never cooked duck before so still not 100% how to tackle it.
    How is everyone defrosting them? Leave on the bench all day do he trick or best to slowly defrost in the fridge?

Kamado Dragon!!

• If I get organised enough I defrost in the fridge, but that rarely happens and they usually get the bench treatment, have never been sick yet. As long as it doesn't get too warm given it's vacuum sealed, I think you'll be fine.

As for first cook, go simple. There are a few suggestions in this thread and the other thread which pointed out the price. Treat it like a chook, roast at say 170 or bbq split slowly over coals or on bbq. Once you've done one you'll find your feet.

Another option is to break it down into maryland and breasts and cook separate, but go the simple cook first to find your feet then you're away. People over think it, cook a couple simply and you'll have a much better idea what you want to do, trust me it's one of those things that have a reputation for being hard but once you've cooked a couple you realise it's not actually that hard.

• it's one of those things that have a reputation for being hard but once you've cooked a couple you realise it's not actually that hard.

Hi

I have a cook-smoked duck in the fridge I cooked yesterday. We are going to eat it tonight. I want to heat it up so I get some crispiness in the skin. Reading on the net indicates that putting it under the grill or in the oven to bring up to temp will crispy the skin, but I was wondering about dumping it into a hot cast iron wok of oil? The Chinese restaurants pre-cook and reheat and get it good.

Any hints. At the moment the net is leaning me towards heating it up under the grill, but I think this might make the skin crispy before the meat is warm. Maybe a bit in the oven and a bit in the grill.

I am in an experimental phase so any ideas welcome. I will be doing a few ducks over the next little while to get them right.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• but I was wondering about dumping it into a hot cast iron wok of oil?

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

The closest I have come to this Grant is where I have braised duck in a master stock then fried in oil, and yes the skin became crispy.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!