Anova Sous Vide - Review

• That's another whole thread zydecoUnder market place and vacuum sealer

I've just moved it back to this section.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Ok ok as Wazza was hinting, I was gifted an Anova (Bluetooth) for my Birthday and promptly adapted my meat esky with it.
    I've not had much time to play with it yet, so far 64deg eggs which were hands down the best eggs I've had. Then I tried to break down some lamb forequarter cutlets which I didn't quite get there.
    As time permits and if results are worth it I'll update some more sous vide-cue fusion as that's where I'm heading with it. Sous vide with BBQ flavor.

• sous vide-cue fusion as that's where I'm heading with it. Sous vide with BBQ flavor.

I like that, sous vide cue fusion.

I guess that's what I'm trying as we speak. My cold smoked chuck steaks have been in the water now for almost 24 hours. Hopefully they'll be great.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Official Post

I'm really trying hard but i just can't get my head around cooking in a water bath. I can't see myself standing over it with a beer just for starters. :huh:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I can't see myself standing over it with a beer just for starters. :huh:

That's where the sauce or Jus comes in. Cast Iron skillet over some charcoal, brown the meat and the bones, add the vegies one at a time, gently get some nice colour on them all. In with the (in this case) Port, sniffing the evaporating alcohol is optional :D , in with the wine, reduce slightly, in with the stock. Spoon off all the scum, slowly reduce. Strain out solids, juice back in skillet back over the coals, and you really need to pay attention here, reduce too far here and it's ruined, get it right and you have liquid gold.

That, in my book anyway, is definitely 'standing over it and beer worthy'. :yum)

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'm really trying hard but i just can't get my head around cooking in a water bath. I can't see myself standing over it with a beer just for starters. :huh:

You're dead right it's not hands on cooking at all, more turn it on and forget until the timer goes off. It is interesting though, I'm only scratching the surface right now but there's many things I'd like to try. It won't be taking a BBQs place at my house ;)

• Official Post

It won't be taking a BBQs place at my house

Now that's good to know. :):thumbup:

• Yep I can also vouch for a sous vide immersion cooker being pretty cool to play with. I have the second gen Anova and it's still going strong but not without its problems. The bolt that tightens the clamp ring onto the cooker has broken (it was fairly flimsy) so the clamp is loose. Luckly there's a lip midday so the ring can sit tight and flush on it when I clip it to my sous vide container. Also, for the 2nd gen one at least), the vents for the electronics are on the back of the machine with no drip cover so I can foresee moisture getting into there if you're not careful. I don't know if they fixed it in the newer models.

I prefer my whites a little bit more set so I used to do a quick blanch in hot water to set the whites when I did 63c eggs, but now I do 73c eggs for 13minutes (extra large eggs) and they come out perfect.

Chicken breast at 60c for 3 hours is the best breast* in this breasty world! (*for poached chicken)

One thing to remember is that you're not cooking to temp only, you have to leave the meat to sit at that temp for a decent amount of time as it needs to pastuerise at these lower temps.

And if you're doing long cooks with meat, dunk it into some boiling water first to kill off surface germs (or sear the whole surface) before bagging it to cook. You can get some funkiness (though not entirely dangerous) if you don't do that for cooks over 24H.

I used my Anova to cook 10 pieces of tri-tip to medium rare at my engagement party, which was a godsend as i wasn't allowed to smell like smoke :D

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!