Pellets - specifically, heating pellets

• HI all

suddnely i have an interest in these.. and trying my best to catch up on about 3 years worth of discussion history about pellet smokers..

one question which i cant find a clear answer on is heating pellets... which seems to be a very good economical option IF safe to use for cooking..

aka maxi heat wood pellets :

https://www.barbequesgalore.com.au/maxiheat-wood-…ent-description

does anyone know whats the verdict on these things? at $15 for 15kg... these are dirt cheap compared to you're averge $40 for 12kg bag.

cheers

• I'm thinking of getting a bag to do the burn in / seasoning process once I figure out what's involved

Long term tho iam considering mixing these with proper GMG Type pellets

The other pellet I see mentioned are PHA (Pellet heaters Australia)

Not sure if any of the GMG owners here are using this either?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

• I used the BBQs Galore pellets in the GMG DB regularly to help keep the cost down a bit, particularly for a quick grill or for having some in the bottom of the hopper for just starting up before a L&S. I then started mixing them up with flavour pellets and that worked OK too. The bags are marked fuel or BBQ use and they are cheap. I don't think you'll get the burn time and definitely not the flavour you do on the others but at the price, what is there to lose ?

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hey guys I too used the BBQ galore heater pellets ,on low and slow you seem to get HEAPS of soot on the disposable alfoil container or even a stainless steel baking dish that is sealed ,straight away I stopped using them ,you just don't seem to get that on GMG pellets,save money maybe but not for me Cheers guys

• I use these in the Yoder when I crank it right up for pizzas. They burn great at higher temperatures, I guess that's what they're designed for. They give the pizzas a nice wood fire flavour.

I've tried them with grilling, not a fan of the flavour they give to the meat, so only use them for pizzas. Can't really fault the.

Yoder YS480 | Weber Kettle | "Golden Moth" UDS | Weber Go Anywhere

• well ill definitely be jumping on the next group buy for pellets when that happens...
    ill have to start scouting around for some local vendors until then!

also did not even consider pizzas in the GMG until your post Jars!! cant wait to give this a crack !!

• Where do you buy n bulk from yeh I reckon it's great idea

I can organise a bulk buy for anyone in any state, that's what I did for Fab....30 bags or 70 bags. I also have a discount for 10 bags at a time, pick-up from me.

• The bbqs galore pellets specifically say on the bag that they are for use on pellet bbqs. Which is kinda funny because when I told the guy at bbqs galore what I was using them for, he said it was good to know as people ask him all the time if they can use them in their pellet grills ..... And yet it's written right on the bag itself. Am I missing something here with regard to "food grade" pellets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weber Kettle, GMG Daniel Boone, Weber Performer Gold, Yoder YS640, Weber Family Q, Weber Q2200, building an offset as soon I get out of BBQ rehab :D

• The ones I looked at in WA did not have that written on the bag and had a Large Not For Human Consumption label.

When I asked the guy further he said they are for pellet heaters (which are flued)

I'm guessing they are different brands but I'm not weighing in about how safe they are or arnt. I just don't know.

• Hi

Can you use pellets in a small smoke box (like you put in a weber q to smoke fish) instead of soaked wood chips. I suppose you would have to light them first, but they smoke well when I use them for cold smoking.

Ta

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Hi

Can you use pellets in a small smoke box (like you put in a weber q to smoke fish) instead of soaked wood chips. I suppose you would have to light them first, but they smoke well when I use them for cold smoking.

Ta

Grant from Grass Valley

Pellets for a smoking box or cold smoker are much more expensive as they are all flavour pellets. Like the small BBQ Delight type packs you can buy at Bunnings etc.
    The fuel pellets are sold in large bags (9KG or 12KG) from BBQs Delight or GMG etc are 1/3 flavour and 2/3 hardwood to keep the cost down and still provide the desired flavour.
    The cheaper heater/BBQ pellets are all just hardwood.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Yep, that's my take on things anyway. I don't think you'll get much flavour out of them if you are only using a smoke box and not cooking for a long time, but I could be wrong.

• Hi

Ciao. I will give it a go. $40 for a big bag vs something like $15 for a little bag of Jack Daniels type flavoured pellets makes experimentation worthwhile. I know the normal gmg pellets put plenty of flavour into cheese, cream and garlic when cold smoking.

Ta

Grant from Grass Vslley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!