• Hi guys

Really enjoying this forum and great for picking up ideas and tips.

I'm sure all of you who have done serious BBQ for a will have done or heard these debates before.

I went to a couple of local BBQ shops on the weekend and my eyes glazed over with all the goodies available and looked at the Kamado Joe, a Pro Q and WSM.

It's decent outlay of money so if any one has any useful pros and cons i would really appreciate it and help me stop procrastinating!

Many thanks

Mick

57 Weber Kettle, Weber Q 220, Hark Pro Offset

• Hi Mick,

Can you provide a few more clues on what is important to you as the three BBQ's you mentioned are all great but each has their strengths and weaknesses. eg how many people do you want to feed? what do you hope to cook on it? Do you want to move it around, are you looking for something you can fit into a bench etc?

Here's a copy of reviews I have written to get you started.

Akorn vs Kamado Joe Classic Review

Weber Kettle One Touch Gold vs Akorn Kamado Review

Should I buy a Kamado?

• I can not talk about a Kamado, But for my money the ProQ is much more cost efficient than the WSM, The proQ is a fantastic cooker as would be the WSM, comes down to how much you are prepared to pay to have a weber verses a ProQ, and you must remember the ProQ has the ability to add extra stacker's But I have not yet used my extra stacker yet, you can fit a chit load of meat on one good luck with your choice

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• Hey Mate,

I once asked a Smart Fellow (UG)if he could only have one BBQ Whitch one would he have

A Kamado type was his answer does the lot , with a bit of practice you can get them down pact,

With Kamado Joe series you get a fair bit of extras as a bonus , hope that helps out

• For a ceramic kamado, also look at what Gary has to offer.....Smoke King BBQs

but a BSK is what I'd go for in preference.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Kamado Dragon picked up for $299 BARGIN worth every cent even at full price.
    If the ceramic Joes have better heat efficiency that would be amazing would suggest BBQ school and then decide.
    Or grab the universal Webber and do yourself a favour grab a looflighter

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Thanks for the reviews lots of great useful information.

I like to entertain friends and family but not looking to feed an army. As far as what I want to cook - seriously good steaks, I am very anal about my steaks or so I have been told plus long slow cooks brisket, ribs etc.

I don't think that I would be moving it around much, once I find a place to put something out the back it pretty much stays there.

Reading your reviews it's said you have to heat a ceramic grill slowly, what's the average time it takes to heat one up so you are ready to go?

Thanks

Mick

• Steaks - A Kamado can make a fine steak.

Have a look at the videos I posted here and look how you can do a reverse sear on KJ.

I love my Kamado Joe

You can also do two zone cooking on a few Kamados. eg.

Two Zone Cooking

Grill Grates are a great way to do your steak on a gasser, kettle, Kamado etc.

Grill Grates

So can a Kamado make a seriously good steak, a definite yes!

If you own a ceramic Kamado it is more than likely you will crack the firebox or fire ring. A crack is not the end of the world.

eg Gumb with his deflector Kamado Deflector plate nearly dead

I have cracked my firebox and ring on my KJ and BBQ G replaced it under warranty. It took quite a few months for the replacement bits to arrive but the cracks did not affect the cooking.

So how fast can you get a Kamado up to temp?

Have a look at Gumb's video

The Looftlighter - Lit charcoal in under 3 minutes

A definite accessory is to buy a Looftlighter.

Depending on what you are doing to get a Kamado up to temp can vary.

eg if you are using Grill Grates the temps can be lower than searing temps of 400C. In fact with Grill Grates you would not push it that high as you may melt them. With the standard grills in place and you can push most Kamados up to 400C. That will sear a steak real quick. Depending on how you built the charcoal and the type you use this temp can be achieve in about 20 min as the temp can "run away" and climb real quick after a slow start with the vents wide open. This is a bit which takes some practice not to raise it too quickly as this is when cracks can occur. If you can't be bothered or worried you may be distracted, set-up the Kamado with grill grates and run at lower temps.I prefer to cook my steaks using Grill Grates on my Kamado, Kettle or gasser.

For low and slow oddly enough it may take longer to get the Kamado ready as you want to stabilise the temp at 100C to run all day and sometimes depending on the charcoal you want to make sure it is burning clean or you will get an acrid taste.

Smoke, Charcoal and acrid taste

Some Kamado owners like to take up to an hour to ensure their temp is stable and the coal is burning clean before putting on the meat.

This start-up time is not really a problem as people use it to prep the meat, eg rubs, rest out of the fridge etc.

As well as being able to get up to high temps for searing and pizzas the Kamado are great for low and slow as they can keep at 100C for hours eg up to 24.

Regardless on whether I am cooking at the higher temps or low and slow I use a mix of charcoal etc to get the target temp in around 30-40 min, but that's me. You can do it quicker or slower. It is something I don't think I have mentioned before that the charcoal you use and how you set it up in the Kamado can make a big difference to the start-up and the ability to hold/reach a temp.

So in summary: Can a Kamado cook an excellent steak = yes. Can a Kamado cook an excellent brisket = yes Can a Kamado cook an excellent racks of ribs = yes (low and slow until they literally fall off the bone with a hint of hickory smoke with a honey glaze, what more do I need to say :) )

I see you own a kettle. One thing about moving from a Kettle to a Kamado is getting used to using the vents to control the heat as on a Kamado they really work due to the air tight design and not think like way you would add/remove briquettes like you would in the Kettle. It is not the end of the world as you can see quite a few people who own a Kamado first started with a Weber Kettle, then a Kamado and then more and more and more...

Edited 3 times, last by 12x7 (December 8, 2015 at 12:36 AM).

• No wonder you call yourself the BBQ Devotee!

Thanks heaps for this, so i'm assuming if i went the way of the Kamado the fuel would be Charcoal only?

One other question have you cured bacon in a Kamadao?

• Yes, a kamado works on charcoal and while you can use heat beads,it's not ideal as they make a lot of ash and tend to block the air holes underneath. You will find a kamado is the most economical of all the charcoal cookers and very cheap to run.

You can cold smoke in a kamado as well. I have a Smokai for that purpose. You cure the bacon in the fridge first.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Have a look at the charcoal suppliers eg NSW and you will see there is a large range of different types of charcoal.

Charcoal suppliers

They all burn differently and provide a different smoke sensation to your cook on a Kamado

I tend to keep away from the head beads on a ceramic kamado as the ceramic can absorb the chemicals and spoil the food.

What city are you in as some of the other guys on the forum can point you in the right direction of the other Kamdo brands in your city you could drop in and have a look?

Eg Perth = Urban Griller = Saffire, Brisbane = Smoke King BBQ etc

• too add to the others posts:

I love my Vision Grills kamado.. and the only real downsides against the wsm/proq (imho) are:

- space limitations vs wsm/proq
    - ease of adding more wood or charcoal mid-cook... i think the kamado joe has a slot for adding more wood.. the VG kamado doesnt.

i would assume the wsm/proq also gets the nod for being easier to clean since you are not moving steel not ceramic

you will not go wrong either way.. wsm pro q or kamado... i had to make a similar choice upgrading from the kettle and obviously chose the kamado...having said that.. i would LOVE to play with the WSM or Pro Q just to see what they are like..

• Maybe I need to contact Chris and book in for one of his sessions and have a look at them in action.

That would definitely be good value.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!