Do we have any Gardners on the site?

• Just curious if any gardeners here...More like I am board and rehashing threads from months ago and other sites...but I figured I had to do most of the hard work in "my sisters" garden that I could at least get some joy by posting and hopefully see others and maybe even get some tips!

So for give the 7 month old pictures...but most of you know I am a self serving SOB anyway...I figure content is content! And I truly do hope some of you garden as I would love to se them!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• This was the start back in April! It really is Kristin's garden, she does most of the leg work, I just had to do all the prep work...and it was a Muther to get prepped...but with the stuff we did over the last 2 days, which you will see in the last post, should be easier every year to prep. She says it is an ornamental vegetable garden. Will be bordered by marigolds, then will have a 42inch (width of mower) strip of grass, then 3 foot bed for plants, you can maybe tell what it will look like in the photos. The beds will be 3 sections, each 25 feet long...If I had to guess, I would say 85 x 125 feet is the total area. So about a 10,000sq.ft. area.

• I come to find out half way through our summer that Kristin had used some seeds that were from 2008, so I was not happy whne I learned this, as it was hit and miss with the Sweet Corn, the one thing I was looking forward to (lots of butter n Salt)! Also had issues with carrots, planted twice and nither came in. I see we were supposed to plant with radish's to help them break through the soil and we did not, so that is on us.

There was way to much prep work for the garden this year, about a third never got planted, it was either to cold, still being prepped, or to hot to do it. We harvested what there was to get this year, roto-till under the rest and add brown material for the winter, and have a much easier time getting beds ready in Spring of 2016!

• That was pretty much the 1st garden in the new home in Virginia Just roto-tilled the rows. Have 4, 600Lb. rolls of straw coming this week to incorporate with the existing mulch/compost hybrid I have been developing. Will then put that on top of rows...

You can see the Asparagus on left and right (suckers take 2-3 years Kristin tells me, know wonder they are so expensive here), that and a few dead herbs is all that was left.

• And today it was really put to bed for the Winter. It has been amended. We had a big truck load of wood chips that a tree service gave to us in about April, grass clippings, coffee grinds and household fruit and vegetable discard was added to it over the summer, along with about 10 tons of spent grapes from our neighbors winery were added in October, along with 3-600lb. bales of straw about 3 weeks ago! Mixed it all in, and since it has been over 70° here the last 2 days, put it on top of the roto-tilled rows to set for the winter. This should be some serious soil come Spring!

• Wow! Those are some healthy looking plants and fine japs! What does your growing medium consist of, or is that just a mulch on top? Do you fertilize regularly?

Your lawn is kickin too!

Looks like someone had a Monster Jam on the Round Ball backboard!

• I'm not much of a gardener. Just have some herbs growing in the garden (although the basil has been hammered by caterpillars lately)

Also have a couple of chili plants going. My last lot died over the winter while I was away on holiday. Have got a Jalapeno, Thai Chili and Habernero plant going in pots at the moment. The first two have started fruiting, nothing yet from the Habernero plant but I only picked that up a couple of weeks ago.

• Wow! Those are some healthy looking plants and fine japs! What does your growing medium consist of, or is that just a mulch on top? Do you fertilize regularly?

Your lawn is kickin too!

Looks like someone had a Monster Jam on the Round Ball backboard!

Thanks mate, just mulch on top. I fertilise every 4 weeks with a seaweed liquid concentrate. Can't wait to try a few recipes with the chillies, I'd like to see if I can replicate a few commercial sauces also such as El Yucataco Jalepena

Lawn is synthetic, and a storm blew over the BB ring.

• I will ask Kristin to give me the recipe...I was told this recipe is for a quart jar.

[I was gonna try and convert, but the metric volume stuff, I just get lost]

1 1/2lbs. Cucumbers
    4 Garlic cloves
    2 tsp Dill seed
    1/2 tsp Red Pepper flakes
    1 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 Cup Water
    1 1/2 Tbs Kosher Salt

Cut ends of cucs; slice into spear that fit jar. Wash jars and lids. Add 1st 4 ingredients to jars. Add cider, water and salt, bring to boil, pour over cucs. Top jars with liquid to remove any bubbles, cool, then store in fridge.

THESE ARE NOT SHELF STABLE!

Edited once, last by Bentley Meredith (December 15, 2015 at 1:40 AM).

• It is the Tablesoon/Teasppon and 1 cup, half cup...Do you all use those or is it x grams of this and y milliliters of this...etc.?

The only difference is the Tablespoon, US is 15ml, Australian is 20ml.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• You must have smaller mouths than us ^^

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Thanks Bentley. What is the shelf life in the fridge?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!