Using Banksia cones for flavour

• ADMIN NOTE: This thread has been split from a discussion about flavour pellets vs heater grade pellets for use in a pellet cooker/smoker. It wandered off in to a discussion on the use of banksia cones so all those posts have been moved to this new thread.

Another option is to see if you can find a fruit/nut tree somewhere that you can raid some branches from, or some banksia cones, or if you eat pistachios or walnuts or macadamia you can use the shells. Cheaper and often better than bought wood for smoking.

Masterbuilt Gravity 800 | Maximus Pizza Oven | GMG - Daniel Boone | Cyprus Grill | Big Steel Keg | Blackstone Griddle | Fire Pit | Weber Genesis |

• Howdy Viking

Yeah, I need them. I don't think we get them here. Where are the nearest cones (banksia) that we can pick up. Will come down in January and may even be able to get her in doors along - obviously tennis permitting.

Thanks Narm. I will start to look for fruit bits. I have olive wood that I can get small bits from, but someone said it might not be much good. Does citrus work.

My jam and mallee root is for "big smokes" and I am always looking for the smaller option, when I am not doing brisket or pork shoulder.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Howdy Viking

Thanks Narm. I will start to look for fruit bits.

Why not knock on the door of the Pistachio growing place near you, they might be happy to get rid of trimmings?

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yep Sure was Mupp ,
    I was visulising Banksia but thinking about the Pine Forrest in Gnangara

Got to find some virgin bush lands and have a bit of a look around for some

Do you place them on top of the charcoal in the Kamado ? And which one do you have mate ?

Cheers Clint

• I was visulising Banksia but thinking about the Pine Forrest in Gnangara

Got to find some virgin bush lands and have a bit of a look around for some

You're in the right area clint. That place would have been full of them before it was cleared. From memory go for a drive alone beachboro rd south of Nangara rd and look out your car window.

The christmas trees should be in flower now too.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Hi guys, I might have a look at this thread tomorrow and split the banksia stuff in to its own thread. Would make it easier to find and is good info for future reference.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Cheers Waz,

Mate couldn't find any in Morley or Embleton , went to Kalmunda markets this morning

With Mrs. , who is a Horticultist and she's like there they are, near a cemetery so yep onto em now

Are you from around this way mate ?

I think we may be in the same neck of the woods. Have you had a look at the map yet and put yourself on there? Just pick a local landmark to represent where you are.

Now I think about it, a heap of remenant bush near the cemetery in South Guildford, and parking too. That whole airport area could be a gold mine for these, lots of natural bush through there.

Where are you located? Bassendean for me.

• I'm Embleton just one street from the front side of golfcoarse

Given that you are a street back I can admit to that being my local golf course, pretty sure it's only the houses closest to the course I have hit. :whistling:

• You know that 2nd par 3 hole there, was playing one day, grabbed the 9 iron and watched the ball sail out of the course and bounce of about 4 roofs before hitting something. It was at that point I realized I had read 6 upside down and had tee'd off with the 6 iron - we got out of there real quick.

North Rd isn't too far from me, have a friend on there also, private jetty and all that, very nice neck of the woods.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!