Christmas / New Year Fun Challenge - Cobs

• Hi All,

Per discussions elsewhere on the forum, we have a fun challenge.

This was originally discussed as something we can serve up on Christmas day, but lets make it the Christmas New Year period. Not everyone has their big cookup on Christmas day and others have gathering on different days including New Years eve.

Challenge is simple, a cob or round loaf of bread, filled with whatever your creative juices decide. No voting, nothing official, just have a go and have a bit of fun trying something new. Preferred if cob is cooked in BBQ, but it's a fun challenge so no real rules (bbq may be full with other stuff so perfectly ok if you use the oven in this case).

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I'll be in it but will be away for most of the week so we'll just have to see how i go time wise. Good idea though.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Wheat intolerant here as well, as well as corn and a few other things - they fire up my arthritis no end. Fortunately grain processed the right way by yeast is OK. :)

So no bread but brain is ticking, got to look up my bread definitions :D

Cheers
    Steve

Dragon Komado, 6 burner gasser, Snow Peak portable, Auspit Fire pit

• Wheat intolerant here as well, as well as corn and a few other things - they fire up my arthritis no end. Fortunately grain processed the right way by yeast is OK. :)

So no bread but brain is ticking, got to look up my bread definitions :D

Any substitute you come up with is perfectly fine too, so even if you did something with the filling. It's a fun challenge so rules are very loose.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• Yup I'm wheat intolerant and Mrs Wolf is coeliac so bread isn't super popular. I am hoping to use the GF bread mix you can grab from the supermarkets, make that up in the round tin I found today, bake in the gasser and then make the filling in there as well. The GF mix can be a bit... heavy... so I'm going to try and brown the heck out of it to try and dry it out a bit and firm up the crust, which will make it better for dipping. At this stage it will be for our new years party.

Weber Q3200, Weber Original Premium Kettle

• Hi

This might be a bit like sourdough cooking. I must say here, I have never cooked GF bread, but the heaviness sounds a bit like sourdough. I find that it is better to get sourdough cooked fast at really high temp than to leave it at medium temp to "dry out."

My oven is crap, so I have no idea what temp I am at. I turn the dial up way above 200c, put the fan on and stick the bread in. This seems to work and stops the crust becoming too thick.

Not sure it will work for you, but an idea to try nonetheless.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Yup I'm wheat intolerant and Mrs Wolf is coeliac so bread isn't super popular. I am hoping to use the GF bread mix you can grab from the supermarkets, make that up in the round tin I found today, bake in the gasser and then make the filling in there as well. The GF mix can be a bit... heavy... so I'm going to try and brown the heck out of it to try and dry it out a bit and firm up the crust, which will make it better for dipping. At this stage it will be for our new years party.

A good way to get a crust is to cook it in a container with a lid such as a glass or cast iron pot for 30 min as the steam will be trapped and make a thicker crust, you then remove the lid and the crust will then brown. The trick is to put the container and lid in the oven and crank it, my oven goes to 260 so that's it for me. Give it 30 min to heat up, remove pot from oven, put bread mixture in, lid on and back into the oven.

Not sure how to make it a lighter mix as that is usually about how the gluten is worked. Soda water perhaps? Get some carbonation in there maybe.

• Hi Wazza

I agree with your approach if you want thick crust. The only thing is if you have a "heavy" bread, like I am thinking the GF is and my sourdough is, you are trying to dry the inside out without ending up with 1/2 inch crust. The two things I have done to get the crust thinner is to cook it real hot (obviously keeping an eye on it). The other is mimicking Cuban bread and use Lard (think the movie Chef) instead of oil or butter in the bread. With good heat and lard you end up with a nice crust that is thin.

I know people may say "why thin crust". It is relative. If you have a heavy bread that takes a bit of time to dry out, you can cook it at normal heat and get thick crust but it can become too thick. Alternatively, cook it hot and get thin crust and still dried out in the middle.

You might need to turn it down after a while and this is the "getting to know your oven" thing. You don't want it to burn on the outside.

I only use sourdough starter, so don't understand how to use normal yeast. My gut feel to make it lighter is to add just a tiny bit more liquid, add a tiny bit more yeast and cook it hot.

I know there are good bakers in this forum and would welcome any comments if I am on the completely wrong track.

Just a few ideas from my 1,000 failed sourdoughs in my first year.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Hi Grant,

Have you tried the no knead method for your sour dough? You always get lots of big bubbles in the loaf.

• Hi

I do a really rough knead to start off with. Just mixed. Leave it for an hour or so, then knead the %^$#)@ out of it.

I let it either double in 5 hours, or put it in the fridge to rise over 12 hours to get more sour taste. Shape it, let it rise again, cook.

It works good now that I am using organic rye flour to feed the starter, but using rye flour in the starter and a mixture of white and wholemeal in the flour, it is still relatively "heavy". High heat cooking works well to get a good crust and good bread inside. If I want to do Turkish bread it has to be in the Q or kettle on real hot as my oven is crap.

Try putting lard in your bread. It works a treat if you want thin crust.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hope this link works. It is a Cuban bread link.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

• Give no knead a go, even the not as good ones still turn out really good. Not tried with sour dough though, but would be interested to hear results if you did try it:

http://www.simplysogood.com/2013/03/artisa…nead-bread.html

• Here's my Xmas contribution at the inlaws... All the meats were already taken, and oven cooked

I will say even thought it was all oven cooked Christmas food, I couldn't fault the cooking. Sensational glazed ham, roast chickens, a very tender roast pork and prawns, mussels etc. all perfectly cooked. In hindsight I could have slipped some beef ribs in but it was a great feed. The salads where well above what I can do.

Edited once, last by Geoffo (December 26, 2015 at 10:42 AM).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!