• Hi all and Merry Christmas Last night was Christmas eve and at 20:30 I put my 7.5 kilo pork butt on the ProQ , I went with 3 chunks of cheery wood and let it run at its normal temp some where between 225 and 250, it took 6 hours to get to 155 I the rapped it in foil and into a foil backing dish, and back in for another 8 hours, went 14 hours to cook it to 198 now resting in esky till lunch at 13:30, because of the state of intoxication no picks of the cook, will take picks of the serving though,

My question to you is I was left with a quite sweet meaty tasting cooking liquid, as I rapped it in apple juice just not sure how to use the cooking Liquid, do I make a gravy with something like gravox? or some sort of a BBQ sauce? any tips appreciated

ProQ Excel Elite2o<---> Weber Kettle<---> AKORN KAMADO<--->  WEBER GO ANYWHERE

• That there remains is liquid gold
    Separate the fat and what remain is a condensed taste of the cook liquid there's gold in them there hills.

Add what ever to balance the flavour by taste if juicy just mix some corn flower and cold water, 1table spoon into a slurry then add to the juice and mix in a pot on the stove and you sauce is done.
    Better than gravy in a can for sure.

I used the remains of the ham glazing for a gravy sauce for Xmas day intense flavour not to be used liberally.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Yes it's my bent humor should have read it like an old American accent from the westerns like John Wayne.
    Still the juice is the best base to start any gravy/sauce, when I did the ham I had a alfoil tray under the leg with water in it and used as a catch can for all the basting juice and fat. Let it cool scraped the fat off the top reheated added chilli powder water to calm dow the taste and added the corn flower thickener. yes a west coaster, hope it makes sense now happy gravy or saucing.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

Edited once, last by BBQ Smoke (December 27, 2015 at 12:57 PM).

• You can get the jugs that separate the fat and liquid, but you still have to dispose the fat that's easiest when solidified for sure. I have used paper towel layer on top to soak up the oil before making the sauce as well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!