• I'm probably old fashioned and no expert but I rub the same day, your only after a nice bark and salts and sugars suck out moister, maybe rub day before with everything less salt and sugar. I'm happy to be corrected.

Red weber kettle, Akorn, Cyprus spit, Triple Ziggy, Silver Creek Iron Age offset.

• Hi

I apply it the night before if I am not marinating. If marinating I apply the day of the cook.

I make two rubs, one which is salty for dry brining (this is when I apply day before) and one with minimal salt for when I marinate. I marinate in a salty mixture. You don't want salty marinade and salty rub.

If you aren't marinating and dry brining you need some salt. Marinade or dry brine doesn't really go into the meat without some salt.

I don't use sugar unless I have to as I am a sugar minimalist in everything. With pork the basis of my marinade is apple cider vinegar. With beef, herb and red wine.

My rubs are very peppery, especially on beef. Not everyone's cup of tea, but something about course ground black pepper and paprika works for me.

I am sure we all have our own way, but this is how I do it.

TA

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• I do it the day before, unless I forget, then I do it before it goes on, which is most of the time. :whistling:

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Thanks for all the responses! I have another question today I brought a pork shoulder that has skin on, bone in and around half inch fat on top. I see most people are cooking a pork butt for pulled pork not the actual shoulder. Is what I have ok for smoking?

For cooking instructions I am reading you should wrap at 160f internal temp and taking it 200f in foil. Rest time 1.5 hours. That sound like a good plan?

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

• I use shoulder regularly and it turns out good for me. I rub the day before, 90% on the meat and a bit on the fat /skin and cook with the skin on.

Dont know anything about internal temps etc as I just go by gut feel.

When done, I cut the skin and fat off then pull the meat. Sometimes discard the skin and fat, sometimes keep cooking for crackle.

Good luck with it.

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

• Hi

They call it Boston Butt, but it is shoulder I think.

I marinate it the night before in apple cider vinegar and herbs, spices etc. In the morning when I take it out of the marinade, I save some of the marinade in a pot and boil it to kill any bugs.

I cook it in the smoker till 140 - 150f. Then I take it out, put it in an oven tray, with some of the left over mop, on a cake rack and cover it with alfoil. I put it in the oven on about 250f, checking it every hour till it gets above 190f internal.

Once I take it out I take the pork off the cake rack to let it sit in the juice in the oven tray and cover this with alfoil and let rest for 1/2 to 1 hour. I then take off the fat layer and chuck it out and pull the pork in the juice. By now the juice consists of some left over apple cider mixture and some pork fat.

Put in bags, and freeze. When I want to eat it I thaw it out and wrap it up in a piece of alfoil with some apple juice in it. I put the oven on as low as possible and let it steam/heat up slowly.

I think everyone does this differently. This is just the way that it happens in Grass Valley.

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Wow thanks guys..... everyone here has been very helpful. Over the cook how does this sound for adding chunks. 2 fistful size worth every hour for the first 3 hours? Would that be overkill? Does it differ depending on how tuff a meat is like brisket?

• Wow thanks guys..... everyone here has been very helpful. Over the cook how does this sound for adding chunks. 2 fistful size worth every hour for the first 3 hours? Would that be overkill? Does it differ depending on how tuff a meat is like brisket?

What are you cooking in?

• Thanks everyone for your input, the pork shoulder / butt was better than I could have hoped for! Dry rubbed and injected with coke the night before, injected with coke in morning and put a little more dry rub on, cooked to 160f and wrapped with half a cup of apple juice to 200f. Sat in esky for 1.5 hours and pulled perfectly and taste was sensational.

Now I think some beef ribs might be my next attempt (cook number 5) Thanks again!

• Official Post

Try the rubs from Smokin J..... excellent.

Smokin J BBQ Rubs

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• You won't be sorry. The Game Changer Chicken brine is also on my regular purchase list.

• You won't be sorry. The Game Changer Chicken brine is also on my regular purchase list.

I found some of Smokin J's rubs in the box of stuff I bought home from the comp. Used the beef and pork rub on some ribs and lamb shanks last night, really good. I just cooked them in the oven, but you just know that flavour would work a treat with some smoke.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• I just cooked them in the oven

Isn't that a code violation ?

^^

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!