• So its been a while since i've made some bacon and the wife keeps bugging me to make more...

I would normally mix up my own nitrites, sugar, salt and maple suruyp.

I gave a premix maple bacon cure a go with great results!
    http://www.smokedandcured.com.au/maple-bacon-cure-dry-cure-1kg/
    Very quick, measure out per/kg of pork

Then a slow smoke 225f cook up to an internal temp of 65c

How does everyone else make their bacon?

• That's the cure I use too and it produces very good results. I cold smoke for a while, then cook it up.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Hi

Been a long time since I made it as well. I didn't used to use cure, just pour out the juice each day and rub with sugar and salt every day for 5 days, then hot smoke. The websites said I was risking botulism, but we didn't get sick. I started with just salt, but it was too salty. With half salt and half brown sugar it was nice.

I will try with Kwikcurit standard cause I have some at home. Do you guys cure in liquid brine or dry brine it?

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

Weber Magnum, Old Weber Kettle, Weber Kettle with gas fitting, Weber Q320, Weber Go Anywhere, Akorn, Giotto ECM[size=12]

• Wet curing is better for commercial process. Its much faster , More even cure penetration and a big vat can do a lot of bellies at one time.
    Of course you can do it at home and the results are bacon however there is more water in wet brined bacon. That is $ for sale per kilo on the shop shelf.
    You can sometimes see it as a white liquid that oozes when frying.
    Its not bad, Just different.

Ham? On the other hand is too thick to dry cure unless you go down the Parma / Prosciutto route and that takes a hell of a lot more care then a slab of belly. Therefore to make a simple ham at home it is better to wet cure with injecting and all that.

• Hi

Been a long time since I made it as well. I didn't used to use cure, just pour out the juice each day and rub with sugar and salt every day for 5 days, then hot smoke. The websites said I was risking botulism, but we didn't get sick. I started with just salt, but it was too salty. With half salt and half brown sugar it was nice.

I will try with Kwikcurit standard cause I have some at home. Do you guys cure in liquid brine or dry brine it?

TA

Grant from Grass Valley

hi mate.. fwiw.. i had previously made around 4-5 batches of bacon with nothing more than salt/sugar mix .. using pretty much the same method you mentioned.. provided you hot smoked up to the right temp.. then left it sit for about another 15mins at temp.. my understanding is you are pretty safe in relation to botulism..

on my last batch i decided to add pink salt in the mix (using the right quantities).. and have to admit... i much preferred the end result compared to the salt/sugar mix.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!