Supplemental smoke for the Akorn Kamado with an Amaze-N pellet tube

• I have been meaning to show an example of how to use an Amaze-N pellet tube in the Akorn after a poster commented that using the Amaze-N they had trouble lighting it and keeping it going.

I found someone who has already done the hard work with the photos etc and I have reposted from here. http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=841577

The extract follows here:

Cold Smoking
    I know most of you are fine with the way you are used to using the akorn, but I am the perpetual tinkerer and like trying new things. Forgive me if this has been tried and posted before,,,,

I wanted to know if there would be enough air flow to keep the Amaze-n pellet tube going with it placed in the ash pan. I set up the lower vent at a half inch and quarter inch at the top. I also filled the basket full of lump to mimic an actual cook situation. With it positioned inline with the lower vent, the pellet tube put out plenty of smoke for about three hours this afternoon. There was a steady flow of smoke leaving the vent under cold conditions. I suspect that after firing up the coals, there would be a much better draw over the pellets.

Smoking with lit charcoal

Step one,, fire up the cooker. Single cotton ball soaked in alcohol. No wood added to the lump charcoal.

Another thing I'm experimenting with is a water pan, hoping it acts as a heat sync and will help keep temps stable. I added a few thick onion slices for aromatics.

At about 130 degrees, I closed both vents to a half inch,,, and waited. Once it got to 200 degrees I fired up the pellet tube. I've used this a half dozen times in the UDS, and have found out the hard way that you "really" need to get this thing going good before it's ready.

Positioned in the ash pan next to the vent,, notice it is opened at a half inch.

For the first 45 minutes, I had nice thin blue smoke as shown below. Then when it reached 225 degrees I closed the top vent to just under a quarter inch and the smoke pretty well stopped. I decided it was a wash, but left the cooker going while I went for my evening walk. I figured I'd see just how stable it would hold temps with the water pan while I was away.

An hour later I returned from my walk to find the cooker holding 235 degrees and smelling like cooked onions, but with no smoke coming from the vent.

Out of curiosity I opened up the ash pan and found this,,,,,,,,, and when I opened the cooker it was filled with light smoke. So was it just burning so clean it appeared to not be working.

How to get that smoke flavour from your gasser

• Some extra hints for using the tube smoker for cold smoking.

1. Don't use the Kamado as a Kamado.
    2. Use a butane gas lighter to start. Make sure the tube is well lit before putting the tube in the lower vent area. Put the tube near the air intake/door.
    3. Use lots of lower vent. Air is good. This makes the tube burn clean and let's the heat out. Restricting the air will smother the tube or heat up the Kamado. Experiment with upper vent.
    4. Empty the firebox of fuel. Even remove the lower fire grate to improve airflow.
    5. Because the Akorn is insulated you can add ice blocks to cool if it is a hot day and it will keep the cool in. Eg put deflector in and place ice blocks on top. For better access you might put the ice blocks on the grill extender. You can use the dual probe thermometer to check the grill temp. The idea here is instead of using charcoal to add heat we use ice to cool. Kamado in "reverse". You can cover the ice blocks in plastic wrap or foil if you need to keep them clean. Add more as required to keep target temp. You can also use a tray with water as a cooling temp sink.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!