What to do with my full brisket

• Hey dudes...

With the soon to be delivered full brisket from the group buy, I'm wondering if I can hack it in half and cook each bit separetly or if it's better to cook the whole thing at once and freeze the left overs..

All suggestions are welcome, I don't have any friends so It'll be hard work to knock of ~6kg of brisket just me and the mrs in a few days..

Cheers

Col

old green weber kettle - pro q excel 20 elite

• I got one that was about 6.5kg last time. Cut it into 3rds. Each cook fed me, Mrs and kids easily and all turned out well.

I'm sure cooking the whole thing would turn out fantastic, but, it wasn't suitable for us and I prefer cooking to eat rather than freezing cooked meat.

Whatever suits you (and your freezer space) best.

If something's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

• I wouldn't definitely cook as 1 piece.
    Only slice what your going to eat and leave the other stuff.
    Cut into portion sizes chunks. Vac seal and freeze.
    Can re-heat slowly in a water bath. Or thaw, slice for lasagne. Chop very fine mix into chilli or similar for tacos/nachos.
    Yum!

Nath

• Thanks guys, now I have to buy a vac sealer. Lucky my new hobby is edible so the Mrs will hopefully approved more than spending thousands on bicycles or 4wd bits

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

• You will be fine Col, if you can get bike bits past a Vacume sealer will be easy. Sure if you let a couple of mtbers know they will help out with the eating.
    To cut it up and not cook whole would be a difficult decision if only the 2 cut it in thirds and freeze what you don't use, 6 kgs of meat to eat from 1 cook will be a big ask. Cook each piece for its own merit will be easier if the size and thickness is more consistent.
    Really depends on if you can get reinforcements to help eat the first cook and how much you will be left with, it's a big hunk of meat.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• righto.. i've decided to go the whole thing in one hit..

next silly question - how long will the cryovac pack last? i can probably fire the akorn up tuesday night/wednesday early for wednesday dinner.. or i'd rather wait a couple weeks and get a temp controller like the q master spoke about on these forums..

a quick google search tells me anything from 4 weeks to 3 months depending on refrigeration.. but i don't want to wait that long

• I have always found that with Brisket, low n slow, the larger, ie whole, does much better because of the breakdown of the meat over time. If you were going to braise it, size would not matter as much. But when you are talking about hour after hour in the pit, the smaller the piece, the more issue I have always had. It s a reason why when I compete, I always look for a Brisket in the 6.5kg to 7.5kg range. They just always perform the best for me...and I am talking about 8 slices...

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• Bently that always amazes me 7.5 kgs for 8 slices for comps its a huge amount of effort. A question do you hand the rest of the meat out for tastings, sell to joe public or take it home?

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• I was looking at the ABA rules for bbq comps last night, and in theirs you are not allowed to sell or give to the public.

Not sure about over Bently's way though.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• if you run across folks who are at there 1st one, arn't Wankers and they wanna taste, will lots of times give them some...

See that's how it should be, nothing wrong with giving people a taste, but I guess the organisers need to cover their butts on the rare chance something goes wrong, it's a shame though.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

• See that's how it should be, nothing wrong with giving people a taste, but I guess the organisers need to cover their butts on the rare chance something goes wrong, it's a shame though.

Yes Wazza its a lot of meat that no one gets to taste really great food sitting there waiting, I thought it was huge same with rules in Aus and the states.

• having second thoughts of not sleeping tomorrow night, but i don't go back to work 'till friday so no big deal.. might do it next week now, Im going camping next weekend so I could cook up during the week and take a bunch of left overs 6 adults and 7 kids should get through a bit.. and hopefully, but doubtful, i'll have the q master or similar temp controller by then so i can do an all nighter and sleep some of it :)

• so tonights the big night... i've set the alarm for 0400 to light the fire tomorrow and hopefully have stable temps by 0500 or 0600 for roughly 12 hours and a couple resting.. eating by 2000 tomorrow night

pit's all set up and just needs to be lit in the wee hours

test fit the brisket and it fits like a glove.. from my googling, i'll have to remove some hunks of the hard fat from the brisket, i'll do that tonight and give it a salt and pepper rub and wrap it up ready for it's big day tomorrow

suggestions/criticism and straight out abuse is always welcome along the way...

• Don't forget to give it a trim keep a 5mm thick fat cap on it and get rid of the daggy bits put about half the amount of salt and pepper and cook the bits for about 4 hours and have fun. Internal temp around 92-93 worked for my last one

• so tonights the big night...

suggestions/criticism and straight out abuse is always welcome along the way...

OY YA BOGAN!!! Well thats the abuse out of the way :thumbup:

Seems you're all over it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out there Col. The "Dalmatian" rub should work a treat.

Cheers, Wayne

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!