What to do with my full brisket

• Get some more lump in there, when I do unattended cooks overnight I fill the lump up to nearly the bottom of the deflector plate, that way the fire can go wherever it wants to and you don't have to worry about running out, not that you will but better safe than sorry!

• Don't forget to give it a trim keep a 5mm thick fat cap on it and get rid of the daggy bits put about half the amount of salt and pepper and cook the bits for about 4 hours and have fun. Internal temp around 92-93 worked for my last one

that sounds like a fantastic idea.. trimmings for brunch

sounds like you have it well planned.

I trimmed about 800 g of fat from my 6.5kg brisket.

Took about 14 hours on the offset to cook but worth every minute of sleep deprivation :)

i told the mrs not to expect dinner early tomorrow.. 14 hours + rest puts us at 10pm.. close enough :)

OY YA BOGAN!!! Well thats the abuse out of the way :thumbup:

Seems you're all over it and I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out there Col. The "Dalmatian" rub should work a treat.

Cheers, Wayne

reformed bogan.. although i was back in the 'ham tuesday and saturday last week.. folks and brother still live there.. and i still work in k-town

old green weber kettle - pro q excel 20 elite

• Get some more lump in there, when I do unattended cooks overnight I fill the lump up to nearly the bottom of the deflector plate, that way the fire can go wherever it wants to and you don't have to worry about running out, not that you will but better safe than sorry!

thanks for the tip.. i'll load a bit more up.. 0400 fire start so it'll be a daytime supervised one unless i have a little nap - but the hi/lo alarms on the maverick should wake me up

• Hi guys,
    I didnt waste any time and had the 4.8kg brisket in the kamado on Sat night.
    Put on the rub about 6hrs beforehand after removing excess fat. I started at about 100 to 110c with a water tray underneath. On waking up at 430am, approx 7hrs in, found the internal temp at 78 degrees. I was worried it had gone past the stall and was cooking too fast for a Sunday lunch. Anyway i went back to bed and on waking at 730 i was happy to find it was actually stalled at 78 degrees, kamado temp was still at approx 100 as i had thought it was cooking too quick.
    After this i raised the temp to 110 degrees and then foiled it at about 12hrs in. I raised the temp again to 120 and it finally hit 90 internal at 14.5hrs.
    After a hour rest in the foil towel cooler i then unwrapped and began slicing. It was extremely moist/tender and magnificent eating but the bark was a bit soft. In hindsight i would not have foiled it but had read too many stories about them drying out. Id also raise the temp a bit higher as I think the low temp and high humidity from the water pan caused the high stall temp. All in all however I was very pleased with my first ever attempt at brisket, will have to get some photos next time!
    Robbie

• well.. almost bed time, i've gotta get up early and im knackered from 65km of push bike today

trimmed up good, not too much fat removed but no doubt i could've got more off, need a decent fillet knife i think

pretty much a perfect 100g offcut that'll be late brekky

all rubbed, tucked up in glad wrap in the fridge for a few hours awaiting it's early morning sauna... was too big for kitchen scales but people scales said it was 5.4kg...... if i remember correctly

• 0445.. fire was lit about 0345 and stable at a touch under 225F and smelling sweet... meat is in

my next concerning thing is... put the meat probe in, fannied about for a bit and its reading 12C already, only been in the akorn about 5 minutes - probe inserted fairly deep kinda through point and flat, hopefully not poking through the bottom .. i probed with another meat thermometer i have here and got around 6C in places... a bottle of water and can of coke straight from the fridge were reading 4-5C on the cheapo thermometer...

i'm somewhere between thinking i'm going to die and thinking the thermometers can be a bit out... just all this talk of busted cryovac bags and all that, fridge is fine, only took the meat out about 10 min before it hit the bbq to unwrap and get everything ready to go in...

15 minutes in now and meat is reading 20C/68F.. nice knowing you all

• it's 0400, fire is lit and coming up to temp.. i hate myself at the moment and want to goto sleep

you may hate yourself now but you'll be loving life when it's all done.

Don't worry too much about internal at the moment. It will climb quick to start. I didn't even put a probe in mine until about three hours in.

Also don't worry about the cryovac. Can see from your early post it was sealed tight. Normally is pretty easy to tell if the seal is broken and the packet will be fairly loose. Also if it was off the smell would have hit ya nostrils before the salt hit the meat :P

• i've stopped panicking.. i stuck the fridge thermometer from the wine fridge out the back into the inside real fridge and it's 3C...

even got a couple hours sleep before the maverick beeped at me, pit dropped to 205F so i've just trimmed open the vents a bit

• Keep going Col, it's sounding good.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• I'm liking this thread Col. Don't sweat it too much mate. Just keep it bobbling along, I don't think you need to keep it nailed exactly to your target temp, it'll wander a bit. ( If it looks like its too far out in Fahrenheit change to Celsius :P )

Cheers, Wayne

• in true "me" form, i ignored it for a while and the fire snuffed out after me trimming the vents when the pit got to 250 ... temp on the dome (i know a bit out) was about 150 and the maverick was reading 180 and wouldnt come up after opening the vents pretty wide..

meat was 147, checked with another probe, so i opened everything up and fired up the coals again, now we're back to 234 on the grill on the maverick and high 100's on the dome...

meat has dropped 5 degrees... again, hopefully i don't die of food poisoning - if i do, i hope it's worth it :)

• You'll be fine :) Meat temp can fluctuate a bit.

I found if I nearly snuff the fire out I can get away with opening up all the vents and blowing into the bottom vent. Normally there's still some slight embers in there that just need a bit of Oxygen to get going.

• You'll be fine :) Meat temp can fluctuate a bit.

I found if I nearly snuff the fire out I can get away with opening up all the vents and blowing into the bottom vent. Normally there's still some slight embers in there that just need a bit of Oxygen to get going.

i blew in the bottom.. vent, then just panicked and opened it up and put my little kitchen blow torch in there for a minute... 257 now with the meat sitting on 140 still.... i know it's probably "stalling" but i want to see a little improvement :)

• It will stay there for a while, it will be fine but it sounds like you need a cuddle, it will climb soon enough the longer it stays in the sweet zone the better.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!