First "real" cook on the Akorn

• so after doing some burgers when seasoning the Akorn I picked up a lamb shoulder and attempted my first low n slow in it.

Had a bit of trouble with temp control out the gate so it was cooked a bit hot at first (about 300f) but eventually managed to get it down to 250 and have it settle there.

Fire set up

Shoulder from spud shed

Rubbed down and into a tray on top of some veg n garlic

Cooked and time to tuck it away in the esky while I prep the veg

Had the potatoes in for a bit with the lamb but once the lamb was done I cranked up the heat to 400f and put in some pumpkin and carrots, making use of the extra space provided by the warming rack

Lamb pulled after resting

Bone came out clean

As usual, my plating leaves a lot to be desired but that doesn't matter when it tastes good :p

All in all happy with my first long cook and happy with my new BBQ purchase :)

• Looks good!! Going to give mine a run tomorrow on a brisket.

Couple of questions if I may....

1. What adjustments did you have the vents set at and

2. Did you just run your probe wires normally between the hood and the base?

Actually 3. How long was the cook for??

Cheers :thumbup:

• the vents were basically nearly completely closed. I should have started closing it down a bit earlier than I did I think. Got a bit hot at the start and had to work a bit to get the temp back down and start there.

Yeah I just ran the wire out the side between the lid and base.

The lamb took just over 8 hours then the veg was roasted for about an hour.

• Bottom vent mod might be needed if you can't get the temp down, on the dragon I have the bottom vent open about 1mm and top vent around the same or a little more at the biggest section of the wedge.
    This holds temp between 105 and 110 C

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

• Looks good Bob!!

The steel Kamados hold the heat in, they don't store heat like a ceramic.
    So you can drop the temp in them with a bit of practice.
    Close all vents so the charcoal smothers
    After 5 minutes, lift the lid for 30 seconds then close it, this will let som we heat out and refresh the fire a little.
    Leave the vents shut, close the lid and wait 5 minutes before opening the lid again.
    Do this 5 or 5 timmes till you are back where you want to be.

Cheers
    Chris

• You may see some smoke seep out the top and lower seals and vents as you may get some pressure build up. I don't worry about it. If it does worry you, you can do a nomex gasket change.

• Nah. Don't think any mod is needed. Just gotta mess around with fire setup and when I decide to start closing it down.

I could have got it lower but anywhere between 225 and 275 when I'm cooking and I'm happy.

I agree, great work for first cook. It's just a bit of practice getting used to the Akorn and the charcoal being used. BTW what sort of charcoal did you use?

• I think part of the trap with a steel Kamado is it comes up to temperature fast! In the time it takes to go inside, shake the snake and grab another beer...she's shot through the roof!

Chris.

Agree with you there Chris from lighting to 110 C is between 20 and 30 mins you have to be on the ball, normally have everything to cook ready before lighting.

Gasser Webber Q, Kamado Joe clasic, Dragon & Acorn, Webber Kettle, Fire Pit, Beer Keg smoker/cooker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!