• There are quite a few GMG owners around here so just wait for them to chime in, I love my pellet grill (Traeger) and the GMGs have quite a few extra features which mine doesn't have. I would say you would be very happy with a DB.
    Mr Bentley in the USA has won a few competitions with his.
    Welcome Booga

• Hi Booga2, welcome. Please post some details in the welcome section. We'd love to know how you found us and what you are up to BBQ wise. GMG pellet cookers are great value for money and easy to master. I had one here on loan for about 12 months and it never let me down. Very solid unit which produced good food and is very versatile. The results were as good as any wood fired or charcoal BBQ in the taste department. If set and forget cooking over a live flame is what you want, pellet cookers are hard to beat. The only thing you need to check is pellet availability in your area.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• Welcome.
    I have a Davy Crockett. Love it!
    Can fit a fair bit in for the size (it's deceiving) and the ability to run it off 12V is great.
    In fact I'm heading down to dwellingup Friday with a bunch of mates for my birthday.
    The DC is coming along, throw a big of pork in and let it do its thang until done.
    Can run it off the auxiliary battery without any dramas.
    The ability for Wifi on all the GMG models is great aswell.

• Full Disclosure: I sell GMG in my range.

That said, I think the WiFi is a fantastic feature! This morning I put a leg of lamb in my Davy Crockett just I left for the "office" at just after 6am, I send a slow cooking profile to it from my phone just before I left. I've got some meetings this afternoon so I know I'm going to be late home, the lamb is set to finish cooking around 2pm and then I've told it to "stay warm" I'll be home around 5:30 and all I'll have to do is throw some veg together, the lamb will just be sitting there waiting for me! For my lifestyle, that's perfect!

Regards
    Chris

• hi Chris, do you have any stats on the life of a 12v car battery running a Davey Crockett. My new caravan has 12v and we go camping without power for several days. The battery runs the LED lights (no drain there) and the water pump in the van but I'm thinking a DC at the camp site would really be something. How it would go cooking a couple of roasts would be interesting.

Big Green Egg - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Weber Kettle - Maximus Pizza Oven - Dragon Hibachi - Ziggy Portable - baby kamado - Grillz 2 burner - Cobb BBQ - Converted Gas Bottle Spit - Charbroil Grill2go - Anova sous vide - Digi Q controller - plus Tip Top Temp - Smokeware cap - Grill Grates

• hi Chris, do you have any stats on the life of a 12v car battery running a Davey Crockett. My new caravan has 12v and we go camping without power for several days. The battery runs the LED lights (no drain there) and the water pump in the van but I'm thinking a DC at the camp site would really be something. How it would go cooking a couple of roasts would be interesting.

The DC will use about 10ah on startup, and 1ah running at Low and Slow, so a 40ah battery should get you a 20hr low and slow cook, but I'm no electrician so, zero understanding of all thet "deep Cycle" talk, it'd depend on your battery.
    ?(

Do you have any more info on your system Gumb? Size and type of batteries, charging system?

• Not sure Chris, it's a 12v battery with a 120w solar panel on the roof of the van. I assume the battery is just a normal car battery.

• I would almost gaurantee it is a Deep cycle battery Gumb, I set up a deep cycle system for my Cruiser a few years ago and did a lot of research.

I'm having trouble trying to link redarc FAQs page but a similar system will run a 3ah draw for 5 days without outside assistance. (That's with a fridge running 24hr a day)

It should easily run a DC

• Thanks mate, 5 days should be plenty for my pulled pork. ^^

• Thanks for all the feed back I'm pretty sure I will get one when I get home, set and forget is the main reason I want one so I can set up a cook go fishing for a few hours and not worry about my fire going out or my temperatures jumping around, the one question I do have about them is how economical are they and how long could I run one at about 250f for on a full hopper, befor I would need to top it up
    Cheers Booga

• Hi Booga,

I have both the Tri-Fire and the GMG Daniel Boone. I bought the GMG for the convenience and haven't regretted it for one moment. It gets used more than any of my other BBQs at the moment.

• I have 2 Daniel Boones that I compete with. They have a Grand Championship under there belt, so not only are they a great BackYard unit, they do well for Competitions...Obviously I am biased, but I like to think I am a straight shooter too...so if I can ever answer any questions, fired away!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

• You out camping Nath ? That's what I call doing outdoors in style.

• I've just bought my caravan and 4WD and would seriously love to take one of those on a week long trip we do in the new 4WD club I've joined. We camp at non powered sites (mainly old farts like us) and spend the week off on 4WD runs etc and are back at the camp for happy hour. Imagine the looks if I pulled out the DC and started up a roast. They'd be coming from every van just to have a look !

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!