• Got back a bit late to get the Akorn cranked up for it's first cook and found that Jan had it alight and settling in to her target temp of 220c. Gotta love how easy these things are to run.

She had marinaded some some bone in chicken thighs overnight and soon they were on the grill. We both commented that the longer marinade time was worth it as the flavour had penetrated right through the meat.

20 minutes later it was time to flip them over.

They hit internal temp a bit quicker than expected and off they came.

Then plated up with a mint and coriander relish and some cauliflower rice

Jan shut down the Akorn and chucked in a couple of Happy bits of fruit for dessert.

Didn't take too long for them to be ready.

Into a bowl with some greek yoghurt and a nutty crumble. Simple but so good.

Recipe from Neil Perry. http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/cook…0u.html#details

Ingredients

1kg (about 6) skinless chicken thighs, bone in
    For the marinade
    1 tbsp finely grated ginger
    1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
    1 tbsp tandoori paste
    2 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    pinch of sea salt
    200g natural yoghurt
    For the relish
    1 cup coriander leaves
    ¼ cup fresh mint leaves
    1/2 small brown onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic
    1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
    1 deseeded green chilli, sliced
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    ¼ tsp cumin seeds
    sea salt, to taste
    Method
    Make a few incisions in the chicken, but not too deep. This will help the marinade to get into the meat.
    In a large bowl, combine marinade ingredients and mix well. Add chicken, rubbing mixture in to coat well. Cover and marinate for at least 4-6 hours.
    Take the chicken out of the refrigerator and preheat oven to 220°C.
    Line a large roasting pan with foil and lay a rack on top. Place the chicken pieces on the rack so they are not touching each other.
    Once oven is at correct temperature, place chicken in. Turn the chicken pieces once after 20-25 minutes; they should have slightly charred edges. Roast for another 10-15 minutes, until slightly charred on the second side. Turn oven off and let the chicken rest in the oven for 20-30 minutes, propping the door open slightly with a wooden spoon.
    To make the relish
    Place ingredients in a small blender and process until smooth. Slowly add water, about 1-2 tbsp, until mix reaches a saucy consistency. Check seasoning.
    Remove the chicken to a warm platter and serve with the relish.

BBQ Junkster

I just did a weeks worth of cardio after walking into a spiderweb

• Nice first cook for the Akorn. Looks great.

When I was living in Hong Kong we had an area near us with lots of Indians, so I used to go and buy my spices from them. Anyway, they always told me to put a few slashes in the chicken as the marinade is supposed to penetrate quicker (able to run with the grain of the meat, not trying to penetrate across the grain) for tandoori.

What do others do? I only say this because you haven't above but it sounds like the marinade got in anyway?

I sense there could be an experiment coming up here.

Traeger - Weber Family Q - Ziggy Twin Burner - Charcoal Grill - Akorn Kamado - Hark Tri Fire - Jumbuck Pizza Oven - Go Anywhere - Asmoke Pellet Grill - Hibachi Grill - Anova Sous Vide x 2

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!